Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Teensy Bit of Progress




I spent the evening at the hospital last night and I'm happy to say that there has been a SLIGHT improvement in the infection in the last 24 hours. His leg is slightly less red and the area encompassed is slightly smaller. So maybe we're making progress. They added a second medication to the IVs and that seems to have made the difference. He's now getting vancomycin and ampacillan constantly. It takes approximately two hours for the bags to run through, and each two hours there are new bags put up. They're still giving him meds for pain and will gave him a shot of morphine last night so that he could sleep.

I spoke with the doctor over the phone tonight. He's Indian, so I had a bit of trouble understanding him, but I think I got most of it. I'll be meeting with the three doctors today at noon, so I'll clarify everything at that time. But here's what I think I understood.

They intend to keep him for a minimum of another couple of days and then will evaluate at that point. Depending on how he's doing they may send him to a transitional unit, which means possibly a nursing home (isn't he going to LOVE that) because they may want to have IVs administered for another 10-14 days. If they feel he's doing well enough they may send him home and have a home health nurse or a pharmacist come out to the house and administer the IVs. Or they may just keep him in the hospital for the duration. That would be my choice, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Then, after he's over the infection and has had a chance to heal, about 6 weeks later he will have to see a vascular surgeon about his leg. He was real happy about that also. The doctor I spoke to said if he doesn't do something about the surface veins he will guarantee that this will come back again.

They still aren't sure whether it's a staph infection or a strep infection. When I asked the doctor why they couldn't tell he explained that the latest blood cultures that they did were masked because he has been on antibiotics for so long so they couldn't get a true picture. So at this point they're treating him for both.

HE thinks he's still going to Sturgis and will go to the VA hospital down there to have his IVs administered. I wonder what fantasy world he lives in.

Thanks to all of you who have sent good wishes and said prayers for both of us. I’ve passed on all the messages to him. And K-Lo, I delivered your very best smooch last night and told him it was from you. That gave him a good chuckle. His comment was, “Well, at least in this position she could reach my lips. Standing up she would have only reached my belly button!”

Ole had a lot of company yesterday, even Jane stopped in after work. She ONLY stayed an HOUR AND A HALF!!

Well, I’m off to the hospital.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell him to get better and eat all his soup. We have a lot of javelinas to catch in October!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your vaca being held off, but I am glad to hear that Ole is doing a bit better. keep us updated!!! HUGS

Anonymous said...

Totally chuffed to learn he's doing better. All progress is good.

Anonymous said...

Totally chuffed to learn he's doing better. All progress is good.

bluesleepy said...

Glad to hear he is doing better. Even a little bit is a good thing. I hope he continues to progress, and that this infection is knocked out soonest. *HUGS*

YankeeChick said...

Oh man! What a predicament for poor Ole!! It is great to hear of any improvement, but it sure sucks that he will have to go through treatments for so long. Will be looking forward to what you find out today!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see that John Bailey's reading you. I heart John Bailey!

And you tell Ole that my jumping skills are still good and I know I could jump as high as his chest. I know I could!

Also? Maybe you should find a methadone clinic that Ole could rehab in. That way he'd have better conversations than "Guess what's in my diaper, young man!"

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that Ole's doing better. I haven't been able to be online for a few days so I just found out today. I'll send my prayers and good vibes out your way.

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Lena...I leave the blogosphere for a few days and look what happens...so sorry to hear about Ole. I'm sorry you can't seem to get a vacation in too but the most important thing is that Ole gets better. Keep your sanity...my prayers are with you and I'll pop in from time to time to see how you are.