Friday, July 25, 2008

%&@#*^!+!!!

I was so tired when I got home from the hospital last night there was no way I could sit down to write an entry and have it make any sense. I'm really not sure I'm any better off this morning, but I'll give it a try.

Recap: When I left the hospital on Wednesday night the Infectious Disease (ID) guy had been in, changed the medication in the IV drips and told Ole he would be there for at least a couple more days. He also ordered an MRI. The interesting thing is that the doctor from the ER that had admitted Ole also ordered an MRI way last Monday. Obviously Indian lady doctor didn't think it was necessary, because there hadn't been one done. Remember - she's the one that wanted to discharge him on Wednesday. She also changed the IV drip meds AGAIN that had been prescribed by the ID guy. I think this woman has a control issue. And I think it's at Tony's expense. I'm going to connect with a patient advocate today and discuss things with her.

The MRI was done on Thursday afternoon. It showed that the infection has not reached the bone, but some of the subcutaneous tissue has started to degrade (die). That's the tissue that is right below the surface of the skin. This is definitely not good. So the ID guy called in a surgeon to consult (another Indian by the way) So far we haven't seen a white doctor other than in the ER. The ID guy was Indian also.

The surgeon came in last night while I was still there so I got the whole lowdown. I was a bit taken aback when I read his name badge and it said, "Dr. Mistry - TRANSPLANT DEPARTMENT." He feels that Ole doesn't need surgery right now, but will in the future. How far in the future depends on how he heals at this point. Ole's leg is still very red, the tissue is very hard and causes him a lot of pain when he walks. It's this doctor's opinion that the pain is not being caused by the infection, but by the large varicose veins that Ole has in that leg. He thinks they need to be removed or this problem will be frequently reoccurring. He also told us he wouldn't be discharging Ole before Sunday - depending on how things go. I wonder if Indian lady doctor will come along and change those orders too.

So far, since being admitted to the hospital Ole has seen 5 different doctors and has received 5 different opinions. It makes my head spin and I don't know which way to turn anymore. I truly need some added advice from someone who has Ole's best interests in mind - not their own ego trip.

I'm headed to the hospital shortly to sit in the chair and wait for the doctor(s) arrival. I just can't wait to see how they're going to change things around again today.

The one good thing that happened yesterday is that they moved him to a private room.

More as things develop.

7 comments:

YankeeChick said...

That is a really neat service they offer. I just sent off an email!

I sure hope the patient advocate can help you with this mess. My God!! I wouldn't know where to turn or what to think either!! Huge hugs to you, Sweetie. Hang in there!!

bluesleepy said...

I wish you could sit those five doctors down and make them have a pow-wow to figure out EXACTLY what should be done to get Ole back on his feet!! You shouldn't be getting five different opinions. I sure hope he gets better soon; he's been in my prayers since you posted about him going into the hospital. And take care of yourself, Lena, so that you can take the best care of Ole. *HUGS*

harrietv said...

I'm wondering whether they can do some non-invasive varicose vein repair (laser?) and see what effect it has. It may not be possible at this time because of the infection and the possibility of spreading it.

I hope the patient advocate can see that you don't need a member of the accounting department (that so-called primary caregiver) deciding your husband's fate.

Anonymous said...

With all the crazies out there, do you *really* want this much information on where we're at and where we live????

Anonymous said...

Please pass my best wishes along to Tony. I don't think I can send him a message directly, but if it will give him a lift to know he's being prayed for in Israel, please let him know. Mel

Anonymous said...

That email service is just too cool! I've never heard of a hospital having that before. So very neat! Definitely hook up with that patient advocate. I hope he/she can help with getting things cleared up!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping the nurses read Ole's e-mail greetings before he gets them. heh.

Also - good news: WEEKEND = HOSPITAL STAFF CHANGE!!!!