Sunday, June 22, 2008

Life with Lucy

Anybody know who Connie is? She left the following comment on my previous post regarding the picture of the young man standing in the tractor bucket with a chain saw. She identified herself by her first name but signed in as ANONYMOUS and left no link to let us know if she’s a blogger or not.

“Sorry but my husband is a safety expert and that photo just became part of his photo gallery of how to kill or mame yourself quickly and easily.Connie”

Sorry to have offended your senses, Connie, but the method used in taking down that tree was not Ole’s idea – he’s a bit smarter than that. Bulletproof Man is in the business of taking down trees and that’s the method that HE chose. He carries his own insurance, etc., and was paid to do the job. Maybe I took your comment wrong, but it sounded rather critical of Ole’s intelligence. Besides that, it would have been nice if your safety expert husband would have asked permission to use that picture as part of his gallery considering it’s part of his business.

Life with Lucy continues to be exciting. I’m dogger sitting this weekend as Ole, Lovely Daughter and Lars are all in Minneapolis attending the Annual Back to the 50s Weekend at the State Fair Grounds. Lucy was out with me yesterday afternoon when I was working in my flowerbeds, sticking quite close, rubbing up against me and chattering to me as she sat in the dirt watching me work. Beau and Daisy were lying out in front of the garage waiting diligently for Ole to come home. Suddenly, around the corner came Beau, saw that Lucy was outside and decided it was time to play Chase the Cat. Lucy, being afraid of dogs in the first place, took off running but unfortunately Beau caught her by the hindquarters. She screamed in terror, I yelled at Beau, who dropped her and came slinking back and lay down on the ground in front of me. Lucy managed to keep going and ran up a tree somewhere down by the river.

The most humiliating discipline that either of the dogs can receive is to be swatted across the behind with one of Ole’s caps, which I promptly did. Beau got about four hard swats and decided that he was going to growl and snap at me. I knew I couldn’t back down or he would win and then think he ran the show. NOT AT MY HOUSE! So he got four more swats and he growled and snapped again. So he got four more swats, this time across the nose. And I won – he gave in and cowered on the ground. I promptly took him in the house and made him sit by the door in the back hallway for the remainder of the afternoon. There will be no kitty chasing of any kind at my house.

Daisy is such an easy-going dog. She minds so well and does what she’s told. Beau, on the other hand, being a boy dog is much more stubborn and thinks that rules are made for everyone else but him. As a result he always has to be told two or three times before he’ll mind. When you’ve got big dogs you HAVE to be in control at all times. Beau has been quite meek and mild and minded quickly since that scenario.

Lucy finally came back to the house last night about dark, none the worse for wear fortunately. I think it will be a long time before she goes outside again. Poor little thing.

Her week’s worth of regular meals is beginning to show. There seems to be a bit of meat on her little ribs and her backbone doesn’t stick out quite so far. Big Brother emailed me this morning and asked me to take her in for shots. It’s his intention to take her home with him this fall when he comes to visit. That was my intention also, as I truly don’t need another cat, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to let her go by that time.

I had best sign off for now. I’ve got work to do and I have to go give Lucy a cuddle.

Love Lena

9 comments:

YankeeChick said...

I noticed that comment and figured Connie was someone you knew....and that she was joking! WTH!

I'm sure it will be hard to part with Lucy if you have to keep her til fall. Maybe he'll come and get her while you are in Tombstone and that way it will be a tiny bit easier. very tiny.....

harrietv said...

You're a good dog psychologist. You have to be the one in charge.

A neighbor kid came by yesterday carrying her miniature Doberman. (I hate these "designer dogs" anyhow, but that's another story.) For whatever reason, the dog was shaking in fear, didn't take to petting, finally barked at me. I barked back. 'Cause that's what I do to anything that barks at me.

The kid had no clue. I told her to take her dog home before the poor thing scared itself to death. She didn't get it. I went inside.

Anonymous said...

Just got caught up on entries, and Lucy is a sweetie! Reminds me of Mama Ysabella, who was rescued by me and Josh last year. She is still skittish, but getting better. Just a reminder though; pretty girl kitties often go into heat MUCH sooner than you think possible! I'd get her to the vet before you have ANOTHER 5 cats on your property!

That's why I have 7 cats to my name nowadays! Oh, and if anyone out there wants a kitteh, I'll be happy to let two of them find new homes during the Javelina Hunt! And one of them is the Siamese!

art sez: said...

im happy lucy came home, after that fright!! i think she will go outside, but might steer clear of the doggers!!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry,I was joking. My hubby does have pictures like that and they scare me to death. I completely understand why you were scared being. I meant no offense to you or your nice hubby. I am anoymous only cause it is the only way I can post nothing else works. again, sorry my lame excuse for a joke offended you.

Connie

Anonymous said...

Wow! You had quite a showdown with that Beau! I had to do that every now and then with Pete, my Great Pyr. Just gotta. Glad he is compliant now.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I will second that you have to be firm with big dogs. Everyone around here thinks I am absolutely nuts for having 2 dogs in house with me, which I am ... But they mind or they are outside dogs.

Meggie Marchstives@gmail.com said...

I read the comment "Rosie" left you... completely agree about getting Lucy fixed. But one step at a time, right? We had a wonderful Labrador that we had to train: Do Not Kill The Kitty Cats. It was hard work, but we succeeded. The Lab was a house dog, the cats, naturally, were house kitties. They HAD to get along. You're being a good foster mother to Lucy.

As to your question for me, Since I have NO hormones, I take two Bio-Identical pills a day that replace all five hormones I lost: Estrone, Estrodiol, Estriol, Progesterone, Testosterone.

Yvonne said...

I always insist on being Alpha with the pets, it's the only way to keep everyone, human and animal, safe. Glad Lucy trusted you enough to come home.