Thursday, May 15, 2008

Senior Citizen Simon & The Man About Town

You know how sometimes if your kids hang with the wrong crowd they can pick up some bad habits. Sometimes peers can be really bad influences. I think I have that going on in my house right now.

You see, Senior Citizen Simon used to be a real stay-at-home cat. He was always begging for someone to take a nap with him during the afternoon. And when I would go to bed at night he would instantly come from wherever he was in the house, climb into bed with me and noogie (neener) down for the night.

Next door neighbor cat, Hercules, was extricated from his loving home (Lovely Daughter's house) earlier this spring when one of her other cats went into heat and Herkie started marking his territory. You see, there's several things wrong here. No. 1, when Lovely Daughter brought Hermione home she was told that Hermione had already been spayed - NOT! And No. 2, Hercules is neutered. We know that for a fact because we had it done. I guess nobody informed Hercules that neutered cats don't mark their territory. So here's Hermione offering all her "goodies" to any male who would have her, and Herkie not wanting any part of that stuff, but still trying to keep the other neighborhood Toms away. That's why he became an outside cat.

Somewhere along the line Man About Town Hercules figured out how to gain entrance to my house through all the flippy dog doors that we have going in and out. You just climb through the back garage door, waltz down the steps going from the garage and into the basement, through that flippy door, through the store room where Simon's cat box is, stop and take a poop or two, then through the flippy door from the storeroom into the TV room, up the basement stairs, make a sharp right into the kitchen and TA-DA - there's Simon's cat food - have a big snack, which means clean out both the wet and dry cat food, and then locate Simon. Entice Simon with all kinds of promises of fun things to do outside at night and lead him back through the maze of flippy doors and out into the free world.

Then along about sunrise it's time to make sure that Simon gets back home safely. Lead him back through the maze of doors, (don't forget to take a poop in the cat box. After all, why would you want to poop outside when you can do it in kitty litter?) upstairs, and down the hallway to the bedroom. Watch and make sure that Simon gets up on the bed okay, peak around the corner of the bedroom door and let out one big meow so that the lady of the house wakes up and knows that you've delivered Simon safely back home.

So now Simon REALLY wants/needs to sleep all day after partying all night long with Herkie. Simon is 16 and Herk is only 9, so he's got a lot more stamina. Boy - don't I know how THAT works!!

Lately Herkie has taken to making more than midnight visits to pick Simon up for all these parties they've been going to. Last night as Ole and I were laying in bed watching TV, Herkie entered the bedroom. I couldn't see him but I could hear him. He sat in the doorway meowing for a few minutes and when neither Ole nor I paid him any attention he turned, tail straight in the air as though he was insulted, and left. I could see the tip of his tail as he marched out the door and down the hallway. Then something told me to sit up and take a better look. There, laying on the floor by the bedroom door was a baby bunny. It hadn't been chewed on or anything, just placed there on the carpet as though it was a gift to us from Herk. I guess he somehow knew that I've declared war on the rabbits around here and wanted to make a few extra points.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I fed them alfalfa all winter up on my deck because they were cute to watch, and now their progeny (neener) have come back to haunt me. Because I fed the bunnies all winter on my deck, some of them have now taken up residence UNDER my deck and are having lunch on the fresh green things that are finally peaking up from the ground. I planted a new bush about a week ago - a Blue Rug Juniper, which is quite prickly. The other day when I was out inspecting things I found that four branches had been chewed off that juniper right at the base of the plant and were laying there on the ground beside it. Now if they had chewed those branches off and eaten them I wouldn't have been nearly so upset, but to just chew them off for the sake of chewing - that doesn't fly. What was it my mother used to say? Don't waste your food. After all there are starving children/bunnies in China!!

The bush will still grow, but it'll be darn lopsided. Darn bunnies, anyway.





Senior Citizen Simon



Man About Town Hercules





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for a two neener entry!!! Good cat stories!!!

art sez: said...

senior citizen simon looks wiped out after carousing about town with simon!!! me thinks the wrascally wabbits are just leaving the junipers there on the ground for easy access!!!

Anonymous said...

Great use of neener! Those cats are too much! Good luck with your bunnies. Go read my diary today, lady! Don't want you to miss an opportunity!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Hercules. Ick, bunny parts. Otherwise it would have ended up on my deck, I'm sure. (First I typed "desk" instead of "deck" and I'm doubtful that my co-workers would have appreciated that either) He's welcome at home, but apparently has little interest!

bluesleepy said...

Hehehe I love the image of Man About Town Hercules enticing poor Senior Citizen Simon to spend every night out carousing and carrying on. I just had to giggle.

Anonymous said...

Man you tell good stories. Ever thought of making a kitty story book?

Sounds like the Herk likes to make Lena happy. :)

Raven once brought me a mouse as a present. ICK! Dead too. ;)

Meggie Marchstives@gmail.com said...

I found your link through Paula (Tum Tum Tree). Such a cute entry about your cats. I love cats -- have two of my own. My senior citizen cat died last fall at the age of 18, which broke my heart. His picture is on my Blogspot web site (the Siamese on my lap). Since I'm right smack dab in the middle of 50, I'm sure I'll love reading your blogs regularly -- or so Paula tells me. My name is Megan, by the way.