Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Moe

I need some help here, People!! You guys have never let me down and I know I can count on you this time.

Lovely Daughter is getting married in September, so it's time for me to shop for a Mother of the Bride dress. She and I went out one Saturday a few weeks ago and I did find something that I kind of liked that day. But I didn't buy it, I wanted to think about it a bit. It's not exactly the one shown below, but very close stylewise. This is shown in a pretty blue, but the one I looked at and tried on was in a color called truffle. That's kind of a dark burgundy with a brown cast to it.


Now here's the problem. Lovely Daughter really likes the truffle mother of the bride dress in the style shown above. On a scale of 1 to 10 it probably rates about an 8 in my book. It's got a couple of things against it as far as I'm concerned. First of all I've never liked a square neckline on me. Second, I'm really not into wearing any kind of brown, which truffle kind of is. And third, I'm not sure I want to be the same color as one of the bridesmaids. One of her bridesmaids will be in truffle and the other in cognac, which blend together beautifully.

Since then I've found another dress that I really like. This one rates between a 9 and a 10 in my book. I love the color and it's a color that I can wear, plus the fact that the style just looks more "me" if you know what I mean. She really likes the other dress and it is her wedding, but I don't know if I would be comfortable in the truffle dress.



Lovely Daughter is using all fall colors for her wedding. The flower arrangements in the front of the church will be in large baskets shaped and colored like a pumpkin full of fall flowers in gold, burgundy, orange, green, etc. The tableclothes at the reception will be in a burgundy probably with gold napkins folded like fans in the wine glasses and smaller versions of the pumpkins full of fall flowers on the tables. The table skirts will be white (I think) and hopefully we can find strands of gold lights to hang behind the skirts to give them a glow. Most of the big things are taken care of, we've just got the details to finish up now - like what color is the MOB going to wear.

Advice here, People - I'll be waiting!!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippeee... I get to be the first vote... MMM...

I would try to tactfully say to daughter that "I think that I look better in the second dress and would like to go with that one, however drear I want to get your input into it" then try to talk her into the one you like, making it seem like her decision.

Sounds sneeky but that is about the only way I can think of ... after all you know what fits you best I would say but you don't want to step on her feelings.

I think you could probably pull off both but it is about your comfort as well as her wedding.

Tough spot. Either way it has to make her feel like she made the decision...

In my Humble opinion. :)

For now I don't have that problem daughter and I like the same stuff. :) She just steals my cloths. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yippeee... I get to be the first vote... MMM...

I would try to tactfully say to daughter that "I think that I look better in the second dress and would like to go with that one, however drear I want to get your input into it" then try to talk her into the one you like, making it seem like her decision.

Sounds sneeky but that is about the only way I can think of ... after all you know what fits you best I would say but you don't want to step on her feelings.

I think you could probably pull off both but it is about your comfort as well as her wedding.

Tough spot. Either way it has to make her feel like she made the decision...

In my Humble opinion. :)

For now I don't have that problem daughter and I like the same stuff. :) She just steals my cloths. ;)

harrietv said...

Well, you know I did this about a year and a half ago. The dress I wore was nothing like what I had in mind, either in color or style, but it was perfect. My daughter-in-law helped me choose it.

I agree that you don't want to wear the same color as the bridesmaids; the gold color is very good. It will blend with the decorations and with the other girls without making you look as if you're trying to be one of them. Is there a mother of the groom? What is she wearing?

Yeah, I like the style of the blue one. I think you could alter the neckline a little if it really bothers you. Most of all, you need to be in something that is comfortable for you, so that you feel as pretty and as dignified as a MOB should be.

YankeeChick said...

Wow! I love the second dress and think it would be perfect for you! But, oh my...what a dilemma?!

For Terri's wedding, she wanted me to match the bridesmaids, so I wore a deep pink dress. Pink is NOT my color and I hate all of the wedding pictures I am in. But she doesn't and that's what counts.

I don't know what advice I could give. I can only say good luck with persuading her to change her mind about the dress! **Hugs**

Anonymous said...

Either one is nice, but I am partial to the second one. It's very free-spirited. Just like you!

Anonymous said...

Both are nice, but I like the second one much better. What does LD think of the second dress? Maybe you can talk about it, or look at others to find one you can both agree on. The fall colors sound lovely.

Anonymous said...

LOL,ta hell with tactful! Just tell her hunnydoll, its your wedding but MY butt has to wear the dress. :D

Anonymous said...

I like both dresses, but you need to go with what looks best on you. If you don't like the first one, go with the second. And, I always thought it was not acceptable for the Mother of the Bride to wear the same color as the bridesmaids. Something that compliments is better in my opinion. Makes you stand out from them, since you have a much different role. Just my opinion. Be grateful you are not in the wedding I will be at next month. The Mother of the Groom? Wearing black pants. I'll be dressed up more than she will.

Anonymous said...

You know, the second dress you tried on and hated...why did you post a photo of it? I TOLD YOU to wear what you want, I just opined that the truffle colored dress looked fabulous on you. That's all.

Notes and letters to myself.... said...

I'd go with what looks better on me. The gold dress is divine. Buy both, try both on, and see which one looks better with your daughter with you. Then you can make the decision together.

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your thelifetimesofolelena.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com