Saturday, November 24, 2007

Beau Does Pork Chops

Hi Gang – Beau again. My Grandma’s real busy today so I thought I’d take over for a bit. They’re having a big party out here tonight – a barbecue and BIG bonfire, so they’re outside getting ready for that. Grandpa’s got a BIIIIIG pile of old railroad ties that he wants to get rid of, along with a bunch of brush and leaves, so it will be a hot time at the ole’ homestead tonight – heh! A year ago they had a bonfire of old railroad ties and Grandpa piled the ties 7 layers deep. Believe me, it kept everybody warm.

Daisy and I had a pretty good Thanksgiving too, although we didn’t get nearly enough turkey. And those darn folks set that turkey platter right on the edge of the table within nose reach so it was really difficult to mind our manners. But we did – aren’t you proud? We didn’t eat any turkey until Grandpa hand fed us and oh, was it good. Then Grandma cooked all those extra pieces that come inside of those turkeys and chopped them up in our dog food. Man, was that delicious (slurp).




But I have to tell you all about the other day when I ate something I wasn’t supposed to. Boy, did I get in trouble.

Grandpa had taken Daisy and I to town and we made a stop at Sam’s Club to lay in a stock of burgers and brats for the party tonight. Then Grandma called and asked him to pick up a package of pork chops too. So of course Grandpa found a huge package of the best lookin’ pork chops I’ve ever seen. They were thick and they didn’t have any bones so I wouldn’t have to worry about getting splinters down my throat. Well, Grandpa put all the boxes of meat and stuff in the back of the truck so Daisy and I could keep guard over them and no burglars would steal them. Then we headed for home. Before we got home Grandma called AGAIN – she had forgotten about getting the candy corn. She was making chocolate cupcakes (drool) and wanted the candy corn to decorate the tops. So Grandpa said he would stop in the little store in our little town and pick some up.

Daisy and I were still in the back of the truck keeping watch over the meat when Grandpa went into the store. And wouldn’t ya know it – he ran into somebody he knew and visited for a bit. Grandpa loves to talk and sometimes is kind of a windbag but don’t tell him I said that, okay? Anyway, I was watching the meat boxes very carefully when something over took me and I just couldn’t help myself anymore. I stuck my head in the bag where the pork chops were and started snacking (chomp, chomp).

Now if I had been smart enough to keep my tail DOWN Grandpa would have never known I was into the chops. But they tasted SO GOOD I raised my tail in the air and wagged it back and forth – just like a red flag. Grandpa happened to see my tail wagging and came sneaking out the door and up to the truck with his cap in his hand. Meanwhile I just kept gobbling when all of a sudden WHACK!! SMACK!! His cap came down on my backside with such a loud noise I jumped back and the pork chop fell out of my mouth. What a waste of a good pork chop.

I made my apologies to Grandpa by slinking over to him on my tummy and looking pathetic. I think he forgave me, but that was really embarrassing. To get caught with a pork chop in your mouth leaves one in a very difficult position.


And that darn Daisy just sat in the opposite corner of the truck box looking smug and took it all in. She thinks she’s SO smart. I wonder whatever happened to that pork chop.

PS: If Jane shows up tonight I just may bite her in the butt!! Won't be as good as those pork chops though.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing and wheezing! Where's the Abuterol?

Dana said...

What beautiful dogs!

I found your blog and thought that through some of your interests you expressed that you would be interested in mine.

www.asizableapple.com

It's updated daily about women's health and fitness for all ages.

Please come check it out!
- Dana

art sez: said...

oh, man! i love pork chops too, but i make sure my human cooks them first!!! heheheee!!

Yvonne said...

I think Jane should have that pork chop!

Anonymous said...

Poor Beau! You deserved a pork chop or two after watching so carefully over the meat while Ole was busy yakking it up!

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous! And I love your "Canine Food Pyramid" cartoon. I saw another one at theratqueen's diary the other day (http://theratqueen.diaryland.com/071122_50.html) that I'm sure Beau and Daisy would appreciate: two very fat-bellied dogs are lounging back, picking at the remains of a pile of bones and musing, "What it really comes down to is a question of values... is a delicious, succulent turkey, baked to perfection, worth a few whacks on the nose with a newspaper?" Love, R xxx

pseudowife said...

We forgive you Beau. You are just too gorgeous to be mad at (and pork chops are very tempting).

Anonymous said...

Ah... what's a poor doggy to do when faced with such temptation! It sure wasn't fair that Daisy looks so smug!