Monday, October 8, 2007

Land of the Cheese Heads

Artsy-Fartsy. Quaint. Yuppie oriented. Land of Fish Boils and big red barns. That’s the best description I can give you of Door County, Wisconsin at this point. I’m not so sure yet that this is the kind of place that Ole and Lena fit in. But that’s not going to stop us from having a good time.

We’re a bit early for much leaf color – another week will be about peak, so maybe by the time we leave things will be more picturesque. There are a few maple trees here and there and an odd oak that are in full color, but that’s about it.

We arrived on Friday afternoon in the rain, it rained all night and finally about noon on Saturday the sun came out for a bit. So we quickly planted our backsides on the Harley and took off. We got spit on off and on the remainder of the afternoon, but nothing serious.

We rode up to the northern most point of Door County and watched the ferry going back and forth to Washington Island. Then started back down the road on the Green Bay side of the peninsula. That’s the crowded and busy side of Door County this weekend. There are a number of Fall Festivals going on which means tons of people and everything is really busy. Egg Harbor (unusual name, huh) is having the biggest wing ding this weekend, so we decided to avoid that area.

I took in an Amish quilt show in Sister Bay that just about blew my socks off. Unfortunately they wouldn’t allow any pictures to be taken so I don’t get to show you what I saw. The quilts were all hand stitched and words can’t describe them. They were all for sale, most running between $800 and $1000 each. Yes, that’s a lot of money, but each of the quilts took somewhere between 1200 and 1500 hours to complete.

Then we stopped at an outdoor craft show full of artsy-fartsy stuff – all things I could do without. Oh, don’t get me wrong, there were beautiful things there, but I’ve collected so much “stuff” over the years my house is full and I don’t need anymore. My Word for the Day these days is “downsize.” So unless I come across something really unusual everything gets left behind. Besides, there’s a reason for taking the Harley on these trips – there’s not much room to haul things back to the RV (chuckle).

By this time it was getting late in the day and turning quite chilly so we headed back toward Bailey’s Harbor, where we’re staying. We stopped for a quick burger, visited with a couple of local folks, and then headed back to the RV.

So I suppose you’re wondering what a fish boil is. Well, the way it was described to me – they put lots of potatoes and carrots and onions in a huge pot outside – like a big cauldron. Fill it full of water and bring it to a boil until the veggies are cooked. Then they dump in a bunch of white fish caught in Lake Michigan of course, and bring it to a boil again and this time let it boil over for some reason. I’m not clear on why. Anyway, then it’s done and they dish it up and everyone (the locals) keep telling all the tourists how good it is. Yah – I bet. Sounds like eating lutefisk with a few veggies added to me. Neither Ole nor I are real enthused about boiled fish so I think we’ll pass on this one, thanks.

We noticed a lot of orchards today, both apple and cherry orchards. So when the crowds slim down come Monday, we’ll be making a few stops in those kinds of places. There are also a lot of wineries here so you can bet your bippy that Ole will be stopping there to check things out and sample a bit.

Sunday dawned bright and clear so it was back on the bike this time heading south on the Green Bay side of the peninsula. There’s LOTS of money up here – you can tell by the houses or should I say estates. We ended up in Sturgeon Bay for lunch and then took a back road across the peninsula where we found a little country bar called Bley’s Crossing. So of course we stopped and had a most interesting conversation with the owner.

He’s been a life-long resident of Door County and told us of all the changes that have taken place. The economy now is strictly tourist based, although there are still a few dairy farms and operating orchards around. Dairy and orchards are what the economy used to be based on, but over the years the Big City Folks have been coming up here, buying up the property and building huge homes. This in turn, changes all the dynamics of the governing bodies of the small villages, townships and county – of course to what the Big City Folks want. Sad – but I guess that’s what happens.

We also visited the Cana Island Lighthouse this afternoon. It’s still an operating lighthouse, and is set on a beautiful island with a rocky causeway that you can walk over to get to the island.

By this time it was getting late in the afternoon and getting cool so time to head back to the RV. Temps today were up in the 80s, so it made for nice riding. Couldn’t ask for more.

I’ll check in in another day or two – so hang tight – okay?



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved you little video. Looks like a pleasant place to vacation. Getting to talk to the local people is the best part of a trip.

Anonymous said...

Where are the pictures of the cranberries? I thought Door County was the Cranberry Capitol of the world?

I hope you stole the Lena's food joint sign for your yard!

Anonymous said...

This is why I don't sell the stuff I cross-stitch. I put far too much effort into them (four to six months for a big one, probably two to four hours a day stitching) to make any kind of money off them. People want to buy them for something like $20, which pays me fractions of a penny per hour. I'd rather give them to people who would appreciate them, but my husband is always after me to sell them.

YankeeChick said...

I would love visiting the Light Houses! We went to a few on the west coast and I just love them! I wish you sounded like you were having a better time, Buddy. Hopefully something fun will cross your path.

Anonymous said...

WOW! How cool is that! And I like your eatin' place too!

Anonymous said...

I would so love to see a light house. We were thinking of doing a tour of some if we ever got back to visit mom in FL. I may need to go to door country myself. :)