Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Got a Package, I Got a Surprise!

I got a package (done in a sing-song voice) in the mail yesterday afternoon! I love surprises. And this one came from that Pie-Rat who is always doing nice things for people. And she had a little note tucked inside - to her favorite Sturgis bikers!! Thank you so much Poolie. They are salt and pepper shakers and are so cute. I've got them sitting in my garden window right above my sink so I see them all the time.

Ole was so impressed - his comment: "You've really met some genuinely nice people through blogging." Yup, Ole, I have. I just wish we all lived a bit closer so we could get together occasionally.

I really need to get busy on my Pay it Forward items that I promised (within the next year). But that won't be until after I get my fall outside work done once we get a frost. That probably won't be much longer as it was 34 degrees this morning when I got up. Just a wee bit on the nippy side. Fall is really my favorite time of year with the exception that it means I have to go back to wearing shoes and socks - yuck. Normally I stick with the sandals until my toes turn a bit on the blue side from being cold. Then it's fun to warm my feet up by crawling into bed and putting them on Ole's bare back. Boy, does THAT make him quit snoring!!

Fall is also the time when the mice start moving. (Say, Poolie, what's a herd of mice called? There's one for you to look up.) And with us living in the country right next to a field, we do have herds of mice moving when the nights start to get cold. Big fat field mice. They truly are different than the city mice, you know. Remember that story about the city mouse and the country mouse? Well, a country mouse found its way into Lovely Daughter's house last night and met with the paws of their new kitty, Medora. Lovely Daughter said when she got home last night there was Medora playing patty paws with the mouse, batting it around in the bathroom. Lovely Daughter said they sent the mouse for a swim down the toilet, and poor little Medora couldn't figure out what happened to her new playmate. So now Medora is a Workin' Girl. I'm not sure Lovely Daughter's other cats would even know what a mouse is with the exception of Hercules, who lives in the tractor.

Yes, you read that correctly. Herkie lives in the tractor. Herkie loves being outside and only comes in to eat and take an occasional nap. Otherwise you see him roaming the property regularly. Ole has a big John Deere farm tractor that he uses to mow part of our five acres and to move snow in the winter. In the summer he leaves all the windows open on the cab and Herkie discovered that he can get in the cab and have a nice comfy seat to sleep on. You should see all the white hair he has deposited on the seat. I think you could build another cat with all of it.

Well, Folks, I've run out of words for today. I'm sure Ole would argue that point because he says I'm never at a loss for words, but then what does he know, right?

Love Lena

7 comments:

art sez: said...

the pie rat send you a prize! wow!! what does herkie do in the winter with all the snow and all the frozen stuff?

Lena . . . said...

He does move into the house during the winter. Last year he lived in my house, but due to the fact that he started spraying (and he's neutered) he got evicted!! So now he goes to my daughter's house to eat and nap. Also, Ole has a big dog door in the side of his shop so Herkie uses that to get inside. The shop is heated all winter so he's got plenty of warm places to go. He's not real keen on her other cats, not that he fights with them or anything, just would prefer that they weren't living there. He loves being outside, even in the winter unless it's below zero.

Anonymous said...

YAY! You got them and they didn't break! YAY! I'm so glad you like them. They look all purty sitting there by your sink!

Yvonne said...

Very cool shakers!

YankeeChick said...

Poolie is just the queen of neat stuff! Those are so cute!!

Anonymous said...

A herd of mice is called fast food (to a cat)
Love the pic (as always)
Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Mice,

We have one that comes out of our cabinet in the bathroom says hi and turns back in. Drives Raven nuts. She runs to where she hears the nose points and turns her head back and forth... Wag!!! Then you go ove too it and SNIFF-O RAMA!!!

She is so funny! So we put a trap out... She has caught one once... ick had it in her mouth and spit it at me... I don't know who got more excited .. me or her. ICK@!