Monday, July 2, 2007

Ya, Isn't It Time to Grow Up Then?

How do you tell someone who is 47 years old that it’s really time they grow up? How do you tell someone who is 47 years old not to come to your house and pout and try to bring everyone else down with you?

What an eventful day yesterday was. And I guess as long as I am associated with Jane in any way, shape or form I’ll be having those kinds of days. But yesterday I didn’t get upset; I just let it all happen. So that’s a major accomplishment for me.

As I told you previously, Dick and Jane had gone to visit their daughter for the weekend. On the way home Dick’s car crapped out on him about 20 miles from here; this was about six o’clock or so. He called, got me on the phone and explained the situation and I told him that Ole would be right there to help him out with a set of jumper cables and a towrope. Ole and The New Man hopped in the truck and took off, managed to get Dick’s car started and followed him home “just in case.”

They told me later after they arrived back home that Jane was sitting in the car all poker faced and crabby looking, kind of slumped in the seat and looking really angry. Well, gee, poor Dick must have made that car stop on purpose just to piss Jane off, don’t cha’ think?

Anyway, last night was the night that we had invited everyone over for fire in the fire pit and “whores ovaries” on the deck (snicker – did I catch ya’ there?) Okay – clean up my act here – hors d’oeuvres. People started coming about eight. Dick and Jane were the second couple to arrive, although it took them about fifteen minutes once they got out of the car to get up to the house. They were having quite a “discussion” out by their car, and finally Dick just walked away and came out onto the deck. Jane spent the next fifteen minutes on the phone standing by her car and finally made her entrance in the backyard. She was wearing her “poor me” face, and took a seat on the far side of the fire pit. She spent the entire evening in virtual silence only speaking to a select few people only when she was spoken too, and then in a very sour grapes voice. I guess everyone was supposed to feel sorry for her for whatever reason, or beg her to know what’s wrong.

You know how THAT conversation goes: “What’s wrong?” “Oh, nothing.” “Well, there must be something wrong, aren’t you feeling well?” “I’m fine.” “Are you sure there’s nothing wrong?” “I’m FINE.” But meanwhile the face has the crabbiest expression one could ask for and the general attitude is really pissy.

It got to the point where no one went out of their way to try to speak to her so she sat the remainder of the evening by herself. Meanwhile Dick, the sweetheart that he is, socialized with everyone and made himself at home. When they left she walked by me and didn’t say boo. Usually you at least wish the hostess good night and thank them, but all I got was a cold shoulder, which was fine with me because then I didn’t have to deal with her. Dick gave me a big hug, and I told him I was really glad they came. He said he appreciated the fact that I had invited them and then whispered in my ear that we need to talk. I told him I thought so too, and whenever he was ready to let me know. I feel SO SORRY for him. I know he’s not a happy camper in that relationship, but yet he’s the only one who can help himself.

I think the woman is sick – she needs professional help of some kind and probably some medication to get through this. I know I should be compassionate, and I’ve tried that in the past. All it’s done is increased her aggressive behavior toward me and I’m tired of Lovely Daughter and I being her target.

Anyway, whatever trick she was trying last night didn’t work. No one felt sorry for her, no one even asked her what was wrong, mostly she was ignored. She got what she deserved.

Anyway, I think everyone else really enjoyed themselves – at least they seemed to. There were sixteen people here and lots of good snacks. One of the gals brought the most delicious Hawaiian cheese ball – I didn’t get the recipe – yet – but I’m going to. It was a cream cheese base with pineapple and some other stuff in it. It was such a nice change from the usual salsa/picante type of thing. I like that too, but this was a nice change.

The Cheese Ball Lady is the most wonderful person. I’ve gotten to know her through Bob and Carol. She was born in Turkey. Her father arranged her marriage – she was promised to this doctor who was 25 years older than her. Yes, they still do that in those Middle Eastern countries. Anyway, I guess the guy beat her regularly, she had three daughters with him, and then he moved the family to Florida. She and her daughters have all become American citizens. She divorced the beater, and I guess he died several years ago. Her daughters have all married and have children, and all three of them are highly contributing members to society. One is a doctor in Manhattan, one is a doctor in Los Angeles and the third is a teacher at some big college on the East Coast.

She’s SO interesting to talk to – has quite the stories to tell. We visited with her about her feelings on citizenship and illegal aliens last night. She’s extremely vocal about those issues and is very opinionated about the illegal alien bill that is being discussed at this point. I wish that the United States had more folks that had the strong supportive feelings that she has. Then we wouldn’t be where we are today. Enough on politics.

Well, Folks, that’s all for today. Stay tuned for the continuing Saga of “See Jane Pout.”

Love you guys,

Lena

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOO I just wanna go out there and give Jane "what for"!! Ha, she got her just desserts. Whores ovaries, Hahaha!! Love that one.

Yvonne said...

THAT'S the way to handle Jane ... ignore her but it has to be done as a group for her to really feel it. Poor Dick. Hopefully he'll find the strength to do what is best for him. P.S. How did the Cheese Ball Lady come to live there?

Kathy said...

Whores Ovaries? Okay, I'm stealing it!

Oh honey, sure wish I was there. I'd have pulled a chair right up close to Jane and asked her all sorts of questions so she could focus on herself. I'd even pull out a little pad, just like a therapist! That way, you all could have fun and I could report back to you what she had to say, with my own spin on it.

And you think You're not compassionate? Look at me - wanting to make fodder out of Jane.

I'm hoping to hear more about the Cheese Ball Lady. I bet she has some wonderful recipes to share with us! (Hey - look at me - "us" - like I'm a member of the Lena and Ole and Lovely Daughter gang)

But just you know, when Buzz and I make it up to the Ho Do, we're planning to meet you. I'll make Buzz bring cookies. She bakes great cookies.

art sez: said...

whores overies!! i love it!! wheeee!! say, ya know, this may sound kinda rough, but i think its time to dump jane as a "friend" she is no friend. until she realises that grief she causes, theres no hope for her. (((((HUGS)))) i loved your montage. wonderful, wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Whores Ovaries? Love it! Jane must be hating it that no one came to her to ask her what was going on but she must somehow know she has alienated everyone. I am glad you are there for Dick though.

Unknown said...

Oh Poor Jane, she is so desperate to be the center of attention any way she can. She is a MANIPULATOR! Too bad it wasn't working for her last night and everyone had a good time in SPITE of her antics. hehehehe.

YankeeChick said...

Sounds like your get together came off perfectly!! What a great group of people to collectively ignore Jane in her 'most needy of attention hour'!! I'm looking forward to the report on your 'talk' with Dick. Should be very interesting!

JustMe said...

boxx said it. she was trying to manipulate everyone into feeling sorry for her. she sounds like shes about 8, pouting for sympathy. i agree with you though, she definitely needs counseling! or maybe a well-placed 2 x 4..