Friday, March 7, 2008

Winter

As I stumbled out to the kitchen this morning, still in a fog from having just awakened, and trying hard not to fall on my face as Senior Citizen Simon curled himself between my ankles begging to be fed, I glanced out my living room window to the east and saw the most beautiful sunrise all orange and crimson shining brightly between the frosted tree branches. As the sun rose into a crisp, cloudless blue sky it made the snow sparkle like diamonds all bright and shiny. And I thought to myself, oh, what a beautiful day this is going to be.

Then I looked at the thermometer and it said 22 degrees below zero. My next thought was:




This is the 7th of March - we're supposed to have snow melting now - not freezing even harder.

We stayed home this winter because we traveled last fall, and our intention was to travel again this spring headed for the Great Smokey Mountains. That's why we're enduring this winter that won't end. Oh well, just remind me of these cold temperatures when I'm complaining about 100 degrees and 90% humidity in July, will you?

Apparently general concensus is that you guys don't want to stop hearing about Jane - you're all curious about whether or not she can make a bigger fool of herself, huh? Well, okay. But I'm NOT going to let her upset me anymore. I'll just report. Okay? Latest report: Dick and Jane sat in the front pew at church on Wednesday night. Ole and I were seated strategically so we could see them, but they couldn't see us (sneaky, huh?) Jane spent most of the half hour service with her head on Dick's shoulder and stroking in arm from elbow to shoulder. Get a room, huh? Or at least sit in the back pew so nobody else has to watch. How about just conducting yourself with a little dignity and self-respect!

And, to quote Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.
Actually I don't have anything to say about anything else either - - -

7 comments:

art sez: said...

i remember that pic from last year!!! i hope spring comes soon for ya!!!

YankeeChick said...

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck Jane is doing in church!?!?!?! I suppose since that's where everyone else is, it's the only place she can fondle Dick and make sure everyone else is watching.

I'm sorry your winter is lingering. Keep your chin up, it'll really be over soon!

bluesleepy said...

Hee hee -- that photo made me giggle!! Hopefully this is winter's last stand, and it'll fade into spring as soon as possible!

Yvonne said...

Now I feel like such a wimp thing I'm ready for winter to be gone when you have a REAL winter.

Jane - EW.

Anonymous said...

Just when I was about to complain that it is only 22 degrees here, you remind me that others have it worse...I suppose you would LOVE it to be 22 (above). Garrison Keillor told an Ole joke today on Prairie Home Companion and I though of you...only Ole and Sven were in this joke...it was a fart joke.

Unknown said...

Jane must have real problems for her to put on such a display in front of the whole church.

Anonymous said...

I second that picture, I too remember it from last year as well.

Be hoopdy who's going on in my working land as well... btw, can I stow away in your RV?