Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On Being a Penny Pincher

Anybody out there interested in saving a few hundred dollars a year on their phone bill? Well, have I got a deal for you!! (Can’t you just see me standing up on my soapbox outside a tent at the carnival yelling my sales pitch at the top of my lungs?) So come on in and see what I’ve got!!

A few weeks ago when I was having one of my sleepless nights I flipped the TV on about 3 a.m. and came across one of those “Paid Programming” things – those ads that seem to go on and on during the night that 99% of the stations carry even on Dish Network. One of them caught my attention and I stopped to watch it for a minute. It was for something called Magic Jack. Now what could this be – some new kind of Jack Daniels? A new variety of Jack in the Pulpit to plant in my garden come spring? A new Jack in the box toy? After a minute I determined that it was a little box, about the size of a cigarette lighter that plugs into any USB port on your computer. Plug your phone cord into the other end and you can make all the long distance and local phone calls you want for free. Well, not exactly for free; Magic Jack costs $40, which includes a year of service. The fee after that first year is $20 a YEAR – not a month – a YEAR!! I did the math – quickly – and since my LOCAL phone service costs me $32 a month (that’s no long distance) I thought this would be a no brainer.

But being the cautious person that I am I decided to talk to my personal computer guru, Big Brother, about it first. Before I got a chance to call him about it the next day the phone rang and it was Big Brother. And guess how he was calling me? On a Magic Jack. He had also seen the ad (sleepless nights must be genetic or something), decided to try it and had just received it that day. It worked beautifully.

Well, that sealed it. I went online and ordered mine that same day. It arrived in the mail yesterday and was a cinch to install. I called him last night just to test it out and – Ta Dah – worked great.

So when we travel this will be a real boon as long as I have high speed internet service or an air card in my laptop. If you’re interested, go check it out at http://www.magicjack.com/site/index-22a2.html.

Isn’t technology amazing?

Now just as a teaser - Dick & Jane and Ted & Alice must have arrived home from Las Vegas last night. Ole checked his email about 10:30 p.m. and there was an email from Jane - XXX- rated!! Also, I need to tell you about dinner at Bennigans the night before they left. I neglected to fill you in on a few items when I wrote about it previously. Stay tuned for further details!!

5 comments:

harrietv said...

There's always something... Our internet connections -- daugher's DSL, to which I can access via wi-fi, or my own dial-up -- are both products of the phone company. Seems we'd have a losing battle trying to use the computer for telephoning 8)

art sez: said...

i would use that as a secondary fone, because alot of these voip (voice over internet protocol) telephone systems, you cannot dial 911 on them!! also when the power goes out, there goes the fone!! im just saying!!

YankeeChick said...

Geez! Jane sending Ole XXX rated emails?!?! She is totally wacked!

Anonymous said...

My mailman told me about Magic Jack last week. He's going to try it. We have to keep our phone line because of the LifeLine that we have my mother-in-law on, otherwise I'd try it too. Seems you can't beat a $20 per year phone bill.

Anonymous said...

I heard about magic Jack...I'd love to try it but my husband is skeptical (like he's the one who's money it is)...I'll wait and see what your long term experience is. I am dying to hear the Jane news...you teaser.