Saturday, February 9, 2008

Phlegmifying Good Fish

Guest post by Golf Widow of the Ministry of Silly Walks:

Hello. I am guest posting for Lena today. Accordingly, I selected lutefisk as my topic.

The more I found out, the more I found myself saying, "She said I could write about anything I wanted. Why did I choose this? Why? Why? For the love of all that's good and decent, WHY???"

Probably because I have always envisioned lutefisk as looking something like this:



But I was wrong.

It looks, according to Wikipedia, like this:




See, I don't think that looks bad. It looks a little like cod. I'm suspicious of the smushy stuff at the bottom of the plate, which Wikipedia claims is mashed peas (and I claim, again, "WHY????").

But the lutefisk itself? It looks okay.

My problem is that its reputation precedes itself.

You see, I listen to "A Prairie Home Companion".

Garrison Keillor had me at "Nero, my dog, has fleas, Nero, my dog ..."

Because of Garrison Keillor, I found out about the Ketchup Advisory Board, including the fact that, according to them, I spell "ketchup" wrong - the Board-endorsed spelling is "catsup."

And Garrison Keillor does not like the lutefisk. No sir.

He says, "Eating a little [lutefisk is] like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot."

He says, "Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world’s largest chunk of phlegm."

Oh, dear heavens. That nice piece of codlike fish in the picture? Is it that deceptive? Holy carp. Or mackerel. Or, I do not know what. Holy fish.

I thought it might be in my best interest to check in with another source. I was tempted to turn to Anthony Bourdain for guidance. However, although I remain madly and passionately in crush with Tony, he is a smoker, and I have noticed that my personal taste buds became more refined, more sensitive, after I quit. Which is not to malign my darling Tony, only to say that I think it's probably easier to eat a cobra heart if you can't fully taste it.

Rather, I opted for Jeffrey Steingarten, whose opinion I hold in high regard. Not only is he not one to sugarcoat the truth, but he is courageous. He, like I, will try anything at least once, and he and I have similar likes and dislikes, foodwise.

He is extremely curmudgeonly, but I like Jeffrey Steingarten, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Here is what he told an interviewer in 1999 about lutefisk:

"Lutefisk is the Norwegians' attempt at conquering the world. When they discovered that Viking raids didn't give world supremacy, they invented a meal so terrifying, so cruel, that they could scare people to become one's subordinates."

That does not sound promising. Nor does the fact that Jeffrey Steingarten, the author of a book called "The Man Who Ate Everything," also said, "I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk."

Now, considering I draw the line at worms and am terrified of insects, I do not think I am cut out for lutefisk. Whatsoever.

I think I'll go to the deli and see if they have any SMOKED whitefish. Chef Bourdain might be right after all - smoking gets a bad rap for its effect on humans, but it cures seafood.

Someone needs to tell that to the Scandinavians before they phlegmify all the good fish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lutefisk has passed my lips and never ever shall again. Makes me shudder to even think of it.

Great job Golf Widow!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Golfwidow did research with yours! You should send her a generous tip!

Too funny. I'm loving her guest posts!

YankeeChick said...

Great post! GW is doing such a fun job, I think we should have her fill in for us once a week, just for grins. But don't hold me to that....she hasn't written mine yet, LOL.

Anonymous said...

I have not been reading Golfwidow (only because I haven't had much time to pick up new blogs to read) and though I've seen her link on the blogs of my current buddies, I didn't know she was so funny and such a good read. I will be tuning in to your blog now GF. You are definitely worth fitting into my schedule.