Saturday, January 5, 2008

More on Beau

I think the "kreeping krud" is finally loosening it's grip on me. It better after spending nearly a week in bed and a heavy dose of antibiotics. The cough is beginning to loosen and I can finally breathe through my nose. Breathing is always a good thing, don't you think?

So between feeling lousy and worrying about Beau, I haven't been keeping up on my diary reading or commenting. Sorry. And of course that puts me way behind on everything else around here.

The Christmas tree is coming down today - I can't wait to get it out of here. And then we get to start piling everything in my living room/dining room into one end of the room. The guy that's going to fix our ceilings was out on Friday to give us an estimate and is ready to start. Don't know if I ever told you, but we had roof damage from a hail storm last September that caused water damage on the ceilings in three of our rooms. I just dread the mess that fixing all this is going to make, and all the extra cleanup work because you know that sheetrock dust and taping and texturing doesn't stay in one room even if you block off the room you're working in. It sifts throughout the house - yeck. Oh well, I guess when it's all over I'll do a REALLY good spring house cleaning.

So I've got that ugly situation to look forward to.

And then there's Beau. We got all the lab results back late Thursday afternoon. Not good. The vet gave me the name of the bacteria that he's infected with. It's about a yard long so I can't remember it let alone spell it. But it doesn't matter anyway. The most ideal situation would be to take him down to the University of Minnesota, have a CT scan done and then exploratory surgery to see if they can find the source of the infection. Price tag for all that starts at $5,000 and goes up from there with appropriate follow-up treatment. Needless to say there have been a lot of tears around our households since that dollar amount came forth. At this point we're going with he other option - he's on heavy doses of penicillin three times a day right now. Next Tuesday he goes in for another x-ray to determine whether the fluid level in his chest has changed (improved or increased) since the last x-ray and fluid withdrawal. They will try to withdraw more fluid - as much as possible. From there we'll keep him on the penicillin and just watch him. He may have to have several more x-rays and fluid withdrawals, but I guess we'll just take it a step at a time. That's all we can do at this point.

Lovely Daughter and Ole had a consultation with the vet on Friday morning. She told them that this method of treatment has a low success rate, but there have been cases where it has worked. She said it's fortunate that we caught this in its early stages so he has a better chance of recovery.

Well, guys, that's about it from this end. Sorry for all the gloom and doom. Keep your fingers crossed for Beau. Losing him would leave a huge hole in our lives.

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

My heartfelt thoughts and best wishes are for Beau's complete and speedy recovery. I know how this is weighing on all of you. Your poor boy.

YankeeChick said...

That's such horrible news about Beau! I'm so sorry. I'm surprised that it would cost so much to take him to the University. I thought they did those things for a nominal fee and considered it training/learning or research?!? I just feel so badly for all of you. It's a hard situation. We can hope that Beau will beat the odds and come out just fine!!

art sez: said...

aw, man! i feel just rotten for you guys and beau!! (((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))
im keeping fingers and paws crossed for beau and a speedy recovery!!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to tune in and find good news about Beau. So sorry to hear that the news is not good. I do believe that a dog belongs on a prayer list right along side people so he's on mine. Heres hoping that between the anti biotics and his own immune system he can pull through. I am an optimist so I'm going to say "What a happy day it will be when he does."

Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I just wanted to interject here - what Beau has is called pyothorax (you can find it on veterinarypartner.com) and the bacteria that they drew out was actinomyces and fusobacterium. Very infectious. He looks like he feels okay, but he's not well at all.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, and so sorry about the news on Beau. I'm praying for both of you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!

bluesleepy said...

I've still got you and your family and especially Beau in my prayers. Hopefully this will be one of those rare times when the treatment works. *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Beau. The poor puppers!!! I will be thinking good thoughts for him and his family.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are getting over the creapy crud... and so dreadfully sorry to hear about Beaus problems. The poor guy!

I hope this treatment works!

Anonymous said...

btw, I have seen sun dogs and they are so goregous!! LOVE the pictures. Also jealous of the camera you got for christmas, I have the older model and love it.