Saturday, December 1, 2007

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow


It's snowing heavy here today - the above picture is taken out my patio door. Senior Citizen Simon stuck his nose out the door when I was taking the picture and quickly changed his mind about going out. He opted for a nap in my still unmade bed instead. Smart cat, considering it's only 7 degrees above zero here right now.

Plan of the day is more cookies!! Lars said he wanted to learn how to make cut out sugar cookies, so I dug out my cookie cutters and purchased a good supply of sprinkles and canned squirt frosting for decorating. I haven't made cut out cookies for years simply because they're so much work. But if Ole and Lars want to do it - more power to them.

So I better make this short and sweet and go get my kitchen geared up for "Man Cooking." Unfortunately, Man Cooking doesn't include the clean up afterwards :-( Oh well, at least I'll be able to reap the benefits.

Read this over at Paula's Place, so I thought I'd do it just for fun, too

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper but I'm leaning more and more to gift bags to simply my life.

2. Real tree or artificial? Definitely artificial as I don't like all the needles in the carpet afterwards.

3. When do you put up the tree? About two weeks before Christmas

4. When do you take the tree down? January 2nd.

5. Do you like eggnog? Yes, but it likes my waistline too much.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? A Cinderella doll that my brother gave me the first year he had a "real job."

7. Do you have a nativity scene? YES

8. Hardest person to buy for? Definitely Ole because if he sees something he wants he just goes out and buys it.

9. Easiest person to buy for? Lovely Daughter

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? It came from Big Brother's ex-girlfriend a number of years ago. It was a man's white t-shirt with a big - I don't even know how to describe it - a triangular piece of watermelon fabric sewed on the the top around the neckline and over the shoulders to look like a big collar. It was SO ugly I gave it to Ole to take to the shop for a grease rag. That year she gave Lovely Daughter the same type of t-shirt only instead of fabric with watermelons on it, hers had pink pigs. OMG - where was her mind.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? I've really been debating. I've always mailed cards but last year I mailed out over 70 and really don't want to cut my list as that's the only time you correspond with some folks. Seventy cards counts up to a lot of postage so I may do a combination this year. I'm still considering.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? A Christmas Story - you know the one - "You'll shoot your eye out!"

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? All year long when I happen to come across something that I think would be appropriate.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No - but I certainly thought about recycling the Watermelon t-shirt!!

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Lefse with butter and sugar - also lingonberries. They're SO good.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored lights - no flashing. They remind me of neon advertising signs.

17. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night - it gives me goose bumps.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home at this point because Lovely Daughter lives right next door. If she ever moves away we'll definitely be traveling.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer’s? Dasher, Dancer, Donner, Cupid, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Blitzen. And of course, let's not forget Rudolph.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? At this point a lighted star that I really don't like. I'm always in search of the perfect tree topper. When Lovely Daughter was little Ole used to lift her up so she could place the star on the tree. He doesn't need to do that anymore.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve, but there's always presents from Santa under the tree on Christmas morning after breakfast.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? We have a radio station that started playing Christmas carols continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, BEFORE Halloween!! Isn't that a bit on the early side?

23. What I love most about Christmas? The feeling of closeness among friends and family.

Now - to the kitchen!!

6 comments:

art sez: said...

man cooking!!! hahahahaa!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cooking and baking would be fun if you had someone to clean up the mess. Did this watermelon shirt giver dress in the same manner than she suggested you dress?

Anonymous said...

I used to love that station, before they lost thier minds. Our local Sunmaart here in Wfgo, was stocking up Christmas stuff the week before Halloween. I guess they figured we could hand out Xmas canes for Halloween. We always had lefse for Xmas,but I prefered the Rosettes and Sandbakkles, I guess Xmas always brings out the Swede in me.

Unknown said...

Me and Son are presently making sugar cookies. The first batch never gets decorated. We eat them. Heh. I'd give almost anything to have a white Christmas for once. I'm thinking about printing some photos and taping them to my windows so that when I look out, I see snow. I'll trade you my calendar for your watermelon shirt. *snort*

Anonymous said...

I love cookies and yummynesses of christmas. We finally got enough snow to stay on the ground. :) I know I'll regret that later, but. :)

Happy cookie making!

Anonymous said...

Oh brrrr! I'll stop bitching that it's 50 degrees here. This is poolie. For some reason, I can't use my google account with your comments. Special needs I guess. Me, not you.