Sunday, November 11, 2007

In Flanders Fields


In Flanders fields the poppies blow between the crosses,
row on row, that mark our place;
and in the sky the larks, still bravely singing,
fly scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead.
Short days ago we lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
loved, and were loved,
and now we lie in Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw the torch;
be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die we shall not sleep,
though poppies grow in Flanders fields.
— John McCrae



This is one of the most famous poems ever published following World War I. There were many wars prior to WWI, and many to follow. All produced veterans that fought for what they believed in, along with our right to have freedom here at home. I hope you all have the opportunity to hug a veteran today, because without them – well, it’s too horrible to think about where we could be.


Ole and I were 22 years old and had been married a year when Ole decided to enlist in the Navy. He was in during the height of the Vietnam war. We were so fortunate the he wasn’t sent to Vietnam like so many of his buddies, but the things that he did and the places he was stationed were quite strategic at that time. He was in the communications field with a Top Secret Crypto security clearance, so he wasn’t able to talk much about what he did, heard or saw.


We had a number of high school friends who served in the infantry in Vietnam – many who didn’t make it back – and a few you did who have suffered the permanent consequences of what they saw and the stress they operated under. One high school friend, who lives not far from us, has suffered from PTSD since he returned. It took YEARS for it to be properly diagnosed because the general public didn’t want to believe what could happen to young men who went through those kinds of things. Then it took YEARS more for the poor man to receive proper treatment from the VA hospital that is located here. And I’m sure there are many more like him.


I remember very vividly how these young men were treated when they came home during and after that conflict. Protesters shouted negative things like “Baby Killer” and in some cases spit on the soldiers as they were getting off the planes. How supportive was that of our troops? The people who did those things should have been dropped right in the middle of the war zone so they could see first hand what it was like. These young men were only doing their jobs.


So I sure hope you’re honoring your veteran today, and all veterans who have served in the past and are currently serving to keep our country safe. Here’s a little clip of the welcome MY veteran got when he came off his ship – an air craft carrier that weighed 56,000 tons, 1065 feet long and was 12 stories high!





Please go thank a veteran for what they have done for you and our country.


10 comments:

art sez: said...

Thank you!!! Ole & Lena!! I do believe that there is the Saratoga in your video!! Happy Veterans Day!!! im so PROUD to know you guys!!

art sez: said...

Thank you!!! Ole & Lena!! I do believe that there is the Saratoga in your video!! Happy Veterans Day!!! im so PROUD to know you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lovely montage! Thanks for sharing.

My dad joined the Navy in 1968 with full intentions of being sent to Vietnam. He has a very strong sense of patriotism. However, he spent the entirety of the war nowhere near the conflict. He feels very badly about the fact that while he served in the Armed Forces, he never went to war for his country.

I've been fortunate in that Kurt has never been sent into a conflict either. His ship sent off missiles into Iraq during the first Persian Gulf war, but the ship was sitting well off the coast at the time. Now in this war, he's been to the Persian Gulf -- but again far from any actual conflict. I don't know how the wives of the Army men and Marines do it. I admire them so very much.

YankeeChick said...

That poem is wonderful. Paula posted it and the story behind it as well. And I love your video.

My brother spent 2 tours in Viet Nam and came home to lose his life in a tragic accident 5 years later, as you know. I like to think that perhaps he was saved from some of the horrible suffering that so many Nam vets have been going through.

My Great Uncle was a Colonel in the Army and served WWII, the Korean War and finally retired a couple of years into the Viet Nam War. I remember him saying that it was by far the nastiest war that would ever be. It sure was, especially in regards to the way those boys were treated when they got home. And the lack of support so many people are showing now is just as bad.

Ouch! I'm sorry to go on so. I know we both have strong feelings about all of this, but if you want to delete this I'll understand. Don't want to be too opinionated in YOUR blog, my friend!!

Lena . . . said...

Oh but, Yankee Chick, I second your opinion. And I get so irritated with certain bloggers that I read because of their attitudes about the current situation. Yes, I know no one wants their sons or husbands to go to war, but if no one does - then what happens? They don't think about those consequences. And those that make the most noise are those who have never had a father or a son or a brother involved in something like that. War is a terrible thing, but unfortunately, something that has to take place. For those who are so anti-war, maybe they should think about the fact that they COULD all be speaking German or Japanese today!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lena...I guess we both had the same poem in mind today..my heart aches when I read it. Please give Ole a hug for me and thank him for his service to our country....and Thank you for being one of the patient, courageous wives who had to fear every day for their loved one's safety. I sent a couple emails off to Vets of our current war that I know...one who just came back and another who is on his way right now. My sentiments are the same as yours and Yankee Chick...none of us is pro-war but what are we to do when we are attacked...give up our way of life? Thank God there are those who are willing to take up the call to defend us and keep the conflict off of American soil.

Anonymous said...

Lena,

That is still one of my favorite poems of all time. I know it was written after WWI, but can be applied to so many other wars.
I read that poem before I traveled Normandy. The poppy fields over there are beautiful, sad, but a reminder of all those young men who fought for freedom for everyone, but lost their lives.

Yvonne said...

What a thought provoking entry and video. Thank you and thank you to Ole.

pseudowife said...

Such a wonder poem and the montage was equally great.


BTW my google reader showed a new entry here about a friend with very familiar symtoms. Where did it go??

Anonymous said...

Happy Vets day! From one Navy vet to another. I too remember the hell that Vietnam Vets had to go through and hope every day that history isn't repeating itself.

I was but a youngster when all that was going on but remember the stories well, and was newbee sailor when there were still vets from that era around.

Can't get the video till I'm at home so,