Tuesday, September 4, 2007

WMSTR - loud whistles & lots of black smoke




About every other year Ole likes to go to the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion. I like to go about every TEN years - so this was my tenth year and because Lovely Daughter and Lars wanted me to go I conceded and spent Sundy afternoon trudging through the dusty grounds and making my way through clouds of black smoke and ashes that were put out by all the steam engines. Don't tell Ole that I told you guys that it really was kind of interesting. I wouldn't want him to get the idea that I would go with him every time. Lars, being a city boy, hadn't ever seen anything like this before, so Ole was real hep on showing him all this stuff.

And wouldn't you know it, it was one of the hotter afternoons we've had lately - 92 degrees, bright sunshine, and only made hotter by all the boilers on these steam engines.

I have to admit it was kind of unique, but I did tell Ole on the way out that I had probably seen enough steam engines to last me another ten years (snicker).

I think I still have soot in my hair!!



6 comments:

art sez: said...

yeeee haaaa!!! i have soot in my hair too!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hubby loves to watch Trains and Locomotives and Machinery of the Past on RFDtv. I mean he really gets into it. The tv show is loud enough. I couldn't imagine witnessing it first hand. I'm with you...every 10 years is good enough.

YankeeChick said...

That was awesome!! But I'm with you! Once every few years for a 'photo shoot' ESPECIALLY if it's in the 90s would be enough for me, too! Some of that old equipment is so cool!

pseudowife said...

I think you need to have a Y chromosome to truly appreciate big loud stinky machines. Once every ten years would do me too.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Rollag, but my hometown had a Threshing Bee every year at the Pioneer Villiage {Sort of like Bonanzaville, only smaller}. My dad used to drive a threshing machine back when they were still new and we had an old one in the pasture. My mom still tells stories of pitching bundles, so I've had a lifetime fill, though I think it would still be rather intersting.

Anonymous said...

YUM!!