Thursday, June 28, 2007

Whipping a Dead Horse

I’m SO GLAD you guys are so patient with me and are willing to listen to my bitching and whining. The feedback I’ve gotten from you over the last couple of days has made me feel much better. Sometimes I feel like I’m WAY OUT THERE over this Jane issue and maybe I’m not tolerant enough or something. I try to be patient and compassionate, but the only thing THAT does is allows her to be more aggressive in her behavior. Everyone else in The Circle seems to either be able to ignore her or they’re scared of her – I don’t know which. Maybe some of each.

I really had to chuckle at some of the comments that were left. BoXX called Jane a “single serving friend,” which was an EXCELLENT description, but much kinder than I would have been. KitchenLogic wants to come visit and watch Jane in action. She’s looking for entertainment and says “Reality Dysfunction is Real Time” is exactly what she needs right now. You guys are just TOO funny. Ladybug said she can’t imagine how ANYTHING Jane said wouldn’t be bitchy. And she’s right. Jane has a voice that is, for lack of a better word, tinny and screechy and is high pitched so it just kind of goes through you whenever she talks. And the more upset she gets the louder it is, which seems to be most of the time.

Now I hate to beat a dead horse, but I guess at this point a few more whacks won’t hurt. (Just a figure of speech, Yvonne, I love horses too.) Anyway, back to Jane.

You all seem to have picked up on the control issues that she has. Here’s a very sad story that she told me very shortly after I got acquainted with her. It seems that way back when Dick and Jane were first married and had one child that was at the babysitter’s, it was Dick’s responsibility to pick their son up after work. I don’t know at what point this was, but Dick apparently had a very short-lived affair with the babysitter. I guess he and Jane were having problems at the time (does that surprise you?) Apparently they got things worked out and went on with their married life. Now – 24 years later – she told me that she still holds it over his head and doesn’t let him forget it. She TOLD me she still uses that as leverage in their relationship!! TO THIS DAY!! Now I’m not advocating affairs either way – I’ve never been in a situation where I felt I needed to have one nor have I ever thought about it. I’m not saying I’ve never been upset with Ole, because that would be a lie. But if one partner has an affair and things get worked out – shouldn’t you just go on with life? That’s water under the bridge, isn’t it? Maybe I’m WAY off in this department. I’m sure that if your partner has an affair there’s a very deep hurt that takes time and effort to get over, and I’m sure is never forgotten. But to use it as leverage after 24 years is a bit much, I think.

And then there’s Jane’s lack of confidentiality. You never want to tell her ANYTHING that you don’t want blabbed all over town. She and Dick are fairly good friends with neighbors of theirs, Sam and Donna. Sam is a nice guy, Donna a bit more stand-off-ish, but still nice. Sam loves to come down to the Watering Hole and sing karaoke, and he’s quite good. The bar scene just isn’t Donna’s thing, so she doesn’t go. And that’s fine, it’s just not for everybody. But Jane criticizes Donna up one side and down the other for not being down at the bar with Sam. Jane is big into karaoke (even though she sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard) and frequently closes up the bar on karaoke nights (2 a.m.) Usually by this time Dick has gone home by himself and that leaves Sam and Jane to walk the three blocks home together. Sam has made the big mistake of confiding in Jane way too many personal issues – you know what alcohol does to one’s mouth at times. It has a tendency to open it up and all kinds of words come tumbling out that the next morning you wish hadn’t come out. So shortly after I got to know Jane she filled me in on Sam’s whole personal life – that he’d been having an affair, several to be exact, and even who with. His “partners” were all local women, several of whom attended karaoke regularly. Now how long is it going to take before all these words that Jane spews are going to get back to Sam’s wife, Donna? Or dare I put THIS out there? Do you suppose Jane and Sam are either getting it on or have in the past?

And the one thing I’ve learned about Jane is that much of what she tells you has been “enhanced.” So the basics may be true, but a lot of the details have been refurbished. But I guess that puts her “in the know” and makes her more important than anyone else.

This woman is one sick puppy.

Oh yes – about Dick’s birthday on Saturday. I talked to my friend, Carol, last night, who had witnessed a phone call between Jane and her daughter. The daughter that Dick and Jane want to go visit for the weekend. The daughter that lives a hundred miles away. The daughter DOESN’T WANT them to come for the weekend!! But I guess they’re going ANYWAY!!

Okay – I promise I won’t whip that poor horse anymore today.

Love you guys - Lena

6 comments:

art sez: said...

Jane is a real piece of work!

Kathy said...

Jane "enhances" stories? I think you need to change her name to Viagara! If she continues to tell enhanced secrets after 4 hours, call your doctor!

Sorry. It's the vicodin speaking.

Yvonne said...

I think you should leave the dead horse alone and whup-up on some Old Bat.

Unknown said...

WHY does Dick stay in that marriage? Is he a glutton for punishment?

Anonymous said...

What a control freak that Jane is. God bless her poor poor husband. Send her down here and I'll give her a dose of comeuppance. Or, you could plant a dead fish in her lingerie drawer while she's gone. *snort*

Anonymous said...

Jane sounds like a made-for-TV movie!