Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Technology Way Back in the Dark Ages

I read Bluesleepy's blog this morning and she was writing about technology today and wondering how we ever got along before the days of cell phones and computers. It seems everyone is "plugged in" at all times these days.

That brought to mind all the business classes that I took in high school - among them were typing and shorthand - two necessities for women at that time who were planning on going into the business world. Back in the "Dark Ages" we were called secretaries and we weren't ashamed of it. Now they're called administrative assistants, as though the title secretary is something to be looked down upon. In most instances it wasn't the boss who ran the office, it was the secretary who saw to it that everything ran like clockwork. A good secretary could make her boss shine and in many cases she was the reason he got all those promotions that he did.

Anyway, I digress. Back to typing class.



The teacher (Miss Ronsberg) who taught both typing and shorthand was a bit on the outdated side. This was in the 60's, but she dressed like a Gibson Girl from back around the turn of the century. She wore her hair in an upswept fashion with all the ruffled "waists" as she called them. She wasn't as pretty as the Gibson Girl below though. I think she was about 95 years old (snicker) and had to weigh in at about 250 pounds. She was not petite by any means.



We learned on manual typewriters - you know the ones where you would reach the end of the line and have to lift your left hand off the keyboard, hit the return lever and start on the next line again. We had to have strong fingers back then to hit the keys hard enough to make the imprint on the paper. I couldn't do it today because my hands have become pretty wimpy from just using a computer keyboard.

She would walk up and down the rows when we were being given timed tests with her yardstick. You were taught proper posture, which was to sit straight in your chair without leaning against the back, ankles together and feet flat on the floor. That's where the yardstick came in - if you weren't sitting properly you would get whacked across the shins with the edge of the yardstick. Ouch!! It sometimes even left black and blue marks.

Because I was a good student I eventually got to use the one and only electric typewriter in the classroom. But even that didn't make correcting errors any easier. We had things called correcting tape and whiteout. But we also had to learn to use a typewriter eraser, which could really make a mess on your original if it wasn't clean. And then think of making multiple copies and having to correct the error several copies down. Ugh.



The IBM Selectric was a miracle typewriter because it gave you the option of being able to change fonts by removing and inserting a new ball on a peg, which would spin around to the appropriate letter and leave that imprint on the paper.



When I got my first job I thought I had died and gone to heaven because I worked on a self-correcting IBM Selectric. It had a spool of correct-tape that you inserted from one side, through the area where the ball hit the paper and then wound itself onto a spool on the other side of the carriage. If you made an error you hit a certain button on the keyboard and the typewriter would backup a space, remember the letter that had been imprinted, hit that letter on top of the correct-tape and leave a blank space. Then all you had to do was insert the correct letter. This was fine for the original, but you still had to weed through all the copies and correct them manually.

At the point in time when I worked Federal Civil Service up in Iceland every document that I prepared had to have an original and 8 copies. Each copy was a different color designating which department it went to and was made of a thin tissue-like paper which made corrections difficult because it was easy to erase right through the paper.

At one point in time I worked as the secretary for the president of a life insurance company. That was my first contact with computers in the office environment. The secretaries were all still using typewriters, but all the billing was done on a computer that filled an entire room, and hummed along like it was ready to take off into outer space. We named this monstrosity Big Bertha, and when she malfunctioned the entire office was in a panic because we then had to prepare 20,000 billing statements by hand. Regardless of what your position was, you prepared statements.



This is Bertha being repaired. It could sometimes take days.

My first personal experience in the office world with a computer was when I worked in the Placement Office of a local college. When Lovely Daughter started school the school systems were teaching computers and were using the Apple IIC, so we bought one for her to use at home. This little toy cost over $2000 at that time. And about all it was good for was playing games and writing letters. Now you can buy a laptop with a many-gig hard drive and lots of other bells and whistles for $700. My how times have changed.


So here I am, dumped into an office environment with a PC that I knew nothing about. I was absolutely certain that if I touched the wrong key that everything on the hard drive would disappear. What a relief to discover that wouldn't happen.

So through the years I progressed up the learning curve to today. Now I copy movies onto DVD, I'm currently digitizing all of our old LPs (that's the old 33 1/3 record albums for those of you who are to young to remember what an LP is) and burning them to CDs, all my photos are digital and stored on CDs, along with personal records and documents being scanned into the computer and stored. When I think of how productive we actually were before the age of computers I am truly amazed. Now I suffer withdrawals whenever mine goes down.

Psssst: Just as an aside, at one point in my career when I worked for a court reporter I could type 120 wpm and take shorthand at 150 wpm.





12 comments:

art sez: said...

we had the ibm selectric when i was in the navy, and i used to think that was the next best thing to sliced bread!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah the memories. I had to learn all that in high school as well. At least we had some little computers to learn on but we had those machines where you got blue ink all over you... Remember those?

And those I work with whine cause they have to answer a phone and everything we do is electronic. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember those days well!!!!! Hated carbon paper, hated the machine that capitolady is talking about....can't remember the name, either. Must be selective memory. Our first computer had a 256 MB harddrive and we thought we would NEVER fill it up!!!! LOL!!!

Lena . . . said...

The hated machine with the awful blue ink was called a mimeograph machine.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Dark Ages too! OMG! We killed ourselves on those machines!

harrietv said...

You had a Selectric in your high school? You young thing, you!

You need to read about the Katharine Gibbs School, from which I graduated some 40-odd years ago. But I guess you remember when an "administrative assistant" was a secretary (usually a male) who couldn't type.

harrietv said...

I must have messed up the code -- the link is http://l-empress.liscious.net/older/005525.html

YankeeChick said...

I am so in awe of the 120wpm!! I think I got up to 45 wpm with 52 errors before I have up and dropped out! hee hee

Anonymous said...

When they were teaching us typing in first grade, I learned on the electric IBM type writer. I remember how wierd the humming of the keyboard made my hands feel. I was cleaning out some old stuff and found an orginial 5 inch floppy disk. I can't believe how far technology has come along.

bluesleepy said...

Wow! Thanks for the history lesson!! I never had to type on a manual typewriter, but my dad did have an electric one that had the correcting ribbon. I wrote some papers on it when my mom or sister wouldn't give up the family computer (my dad ALWAYS had his very own no one was allowed to touch), and I also did my college applications on it. I also liked to type my envelopes for personal letters because I am just that nerdy.

I sooooooo wanted to take typing in middle school, but my parents felt it was a "skate" class, too easy of an A for me. So instead I took harder classes. In a way, I am sad I never did take typing, but even though I do not type properly, I still type close to 100wpm using only some of my fingers, definitely not all ten. It's because I spend FAR too much time on here!! LOL

Unknown said...

Your post brings back so many memories....our typing teacher didn't have a yard stick to hit with but she taped paper over our keyboards...we had to put our hands under the paper and type looking only at the copy we were reproducing...we had to learn to type without looking at our fingers. I hated shorthand..never got the hang of it. The only thing I remember about a mimeograph machine (I used one in the college Dean's office I worked for)...was that when the teachers would hand out the papers printed on one, we would all smell the paper until the wonderful smell was all smelled up.

Anonymous said...

I learned to type on a manual typewriter back in the early 80's. My parents even got me an electric typewriter for my high school papers, though it wasn't much of an electric, as it had a ribbon with ink on top, and correction stuff on the bottom.

I remember when we got "word processors' which were basically electric typewriters that would let you type out an entire line and correct it, than hit a key and put it on the paper. We thought we were so advanced.

We didn't get computers until my junior year, and then you had to manually code everything, such as bold, underline, font etc.. {good pre training for html hehe}. We had to save on the 5 inch floppies and then bring it to the computer with the daisy wheel printer, and after you printed it, you had to tear the hole-y strips off the sides.

Compared to what Warren grew up with, no wonder he thinks I'm ancient.