Saturday, August 11, 2007

See Ya' Next Year, Sturgis

Well, the bike rally is over for another year. We had a wonderful time, very laid back and relaxing, but we’re both tired. The heat and the sun can really take it out of you.

We were out of the campground by 10:30 this morning, but it took over an hour to get from the east end of Sturgis to the west where we hooked up with the Interstate. We’re currently on our way back to Medora, ND to meet up with Lovely Daughter and Lars. I decided that it’s really time I give him a name other than The New Man because after all, they are officially engaged. I haven’t said much about that issue because I feel it’s her place to write about it and share what she feels comfortable with.

Anyway, they managed to get a couple of days off work and they’re bringing the grand doggers out to spend a long weekend with us. We’re curious to see how Daisy reacts to seeing Ole. Will she instantly forgive him for leaving her for a month and greet him with jumps and licks or will she turn away and punish him – “You left me and I’m still mad at you.” There’s no question as to what Beau will do. He’ll wear his tongue out trying to cover Ole from top to bottom.

So we’ll spend a few days with the kids and the doggers and then we really haven’t decided whether we’re going to head home or go a different direction. Neither of us is really ready to go home yet. The subject of Glacier Park came up in conversation, and just poking around western Montana for a while. I guess we’ll decide that when the kids leave on Tuesday.

The bike rally was definitely different this year. The counts were way down, which was very apparent by all the vacancy signs on the motels, vendor space available signs, only partially filled campgrounds, etc. Those are three things that you never see during the bike rally. Also, many of the motels were advertising their rooms for $49.95 instead of the $250 per night that they’ve charged in past years. Serves them right to not have filled their rooms.

We also greatly appreciated the fact that we didn’t have all the drama going on this year like last year. Jane and her entourage weren’t able to come this year and that’s what made it an especially good trip. Ole and I almost had a heart attack one morning though. Ole was sitting with his coffee looking out the front window of the RV and he saw a woman walking toward the shower house. He could have sworn it was Jane and called me to the window. From the back it looked like Jane’s twin, so he waited and watched for her to walk back again. At first glance it looked like Jane to me also – but after closer inspection I decided the woman wasn’t fat enough to be Jane. Whew!! Off the hook. As I told Ole, if it had been Jane, I’m sure she would have looked us up immediately upon setting foot on the campground.

Last year she and her entourage “shared” our campsite. We had tents and all their crap all over. They just took over the entire space. When we wanted to use our grille, it was busy cooking somebody else’s food. Our picnic table was always full of everybody else’s stuff, and our lawn chairs were always full of somebody else’s body. There was barely a blade of grass showing on our space because it was covered with all their shit. Now ask me if anybody offered to share in the $600 rental fee for the campsite? Hell, no!! They all stayed for free. If anybody asks to share our site next year, guess what the answer is going to be. A very definite HELL, NO!!

I’m going to have lots of diaries to catch up on when I get home. I haven’t read any since we got to Sturgis, simply because trying to do that through a cell phone gets pretty tedious. By the time I get my pictures and an entry uploaded, any email downloaded and answered, I’m ready to turn it all off. So I have no idea what’s been going on with any of you, but I certainly appreciate all the comments I’ve been getting. You guys are the greatest. I especially had to chuckle at a comment that Shear-Madnez made about a picture I posted of a chubby blonde woman that was hanging out of her orange/red top and little bloomer/skirt bottom. Shear said she looked like a tube of biscuits that had exploded! What a great analogy.

Anyway, time to sign off on this and see if I have cell phone service here so I can post this. We’re somewhere in the middle of nowhere in western South Dakota right now, heading north.

Love Lena

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lena western Montana is where I live! There is a lovely RV Park close by...hint..hint. Anyway if you do decide to go to Glacier you won't be disappointed. We spent the day huckleberry picking today and I was in awe of the mountain scenery. Just beautiful.

art sez: said...

happy trails!!! i have enjoyed "being" on vacation with you!! im glad the evil jane wasnt there to spoil your fun!! drive safe!!! ((((HUGS))))

Anonymous said...

Please go to Montana, I love your "travelogs". You are a great travel reporter. I felt like I was there with you. I am rolling on the floor over Shear's comment about the lady busting out of her bloomers. If it's the picture I am thinking about, she got it just right.

JustMe said...

have a good time!

Anonymous said...

I vote more traveling! I'm not done vacationing with you yet, lol.

Anonymous said...

Post Cards! Post Cards! Post Cards!

Anonymous said...

Hope I didn't ohh!-fend anyone with that comment. I'm bad like that. Stay safe and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Too bad you couldn't make a pit stop! South Dakota will miss you ... I hear mount rushmore whinning from here.