Friday, August 17, 2007

I have a little story to tell you

Well, I think I’m finally caught up on reading all my blogger/diary entries. Man, you guys have been busy over the last month.

Things on the home front are slowing down also – Ole finished all the grass yesterday and I’m reaching the end of Mount Laundry. Whew! When we travel I usually try to carry enough clothes to last us two weeks without doing laundry. Who wants to spend half their vacation in a laundromat? Not me. Folks, that gets to be a lot of socks and undies at one time, plus all the bedding, towels, etc. And Senior Citizen Simon sheds a lot and was busy depositing his hair all over my comforter cover, so that had to come off and be cleaned too. Today the only thing I have left to do is shampoo the carpet in the RV and I’m done. Then everything is nice and tidy for the next time we take off – which may very well be about the end of September.

When we traveled to the U.P. last fall we had intended to also stop in Door County in Wisconsin, but had to hightail it for home because there was a winter storm moving in at that time. So our thoughts are at this point to visit Door County about the time of high leaf color, which I think is about mid October there. We’ve got friends that live in Chicago that we haven’t seen for several years, and it would be a hop, skip and jump for them to meet up with us there. That would be so much fun.

I do have a little story to tell you about our trip that I haven’t shared to this point. That Ole, he’s so full of surprises, you know.

The first night out on the road we landed in Medora, ND, a peaceful little town on the edge of the Badlands National Park in western North Dakota. Ole got the RV set up and I had just settled down in the easy chair to watch the news and relax a bit. Ole headed for the bathroom, shut the door and was in there for an extended period of time. I really didn’t think much about it because isn’t that usually a man’s “reading room?”

Well, anyway, about 15 minutes later the door opened and out came Ole completely clean-shaven. Now keep in mind, I haven’t seen Ole without facial hair for over 35 years and Lovely Daughter has NEVER seen him without whiskers. He’s had a moustache that long, and has had a goatee for at least 15 years if not longer. At one point, years ago, he had a Snidely Whiplash moustache all curled up with mustache wax. I was so shocked I think my jaw dropped to the floor and I had trouble picking it up again. I have no idea what possessed him to do this, but he looked like he was back in high school!! He tells me I stared at him for three days – and maybe I did – but he looked like a different person.

He stayed clean-shaven for two days and allowed me to take only ONE picture of him. We sent the picture back to Lovely Daughter, to her work email address no less, and made up a story to go with it. We called her and told her that we had been at the Iron Horse Saloon for supper that night and had been visiting with one of the cowboys at the bar. When he found out where we were from he asked if we knew Lovely Daughter (by her real name of course). She was totally mystified by this information claiming that she knew no one out in that area. And just to make things more interesting, this was on a Friday night, so she had to wait until Monday to go to her office and read this email. So in great anticipation she opened the email on Monday morning and Lars happened to be standing by her computer. She opened the picture, looked at it and stated emphatically that she had no idea who that man was. Somehow, Lars knew immediately that it was Ole minus all his whiskers. When he informed her that it was her Dad, the first thing she did was pick up her phone and call us. It was quite apparent that she was upset and in no uncertain terms told her father that he needed to grow his whiskers back before he came home!! In her mind it just wasn’t right to see her father without facial hair. Well, of course he had intended to do just that, but I guess he thought he would have a bit of fun with both his wife and his daughter, which he did.

So Ole’s back in full facial hair coverage now and his daughter is happy.
Here's a shot of Ole way back when he had handlebars.


(Pssst – whispers behind hand – I kinda’ liked that back-in-high school look!!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switched ny mail/notifies to NO MAIL till Verizon is done tomorrow. See you on the flip side! Will email you..

Anonymous said...

dangit, I cant see Sh** today LOL
thats me up there Moody geM! geez!

art sez: said...

when i was younger, i had longer hair and a handlebar, i used to slick my hair back, parted in the middle!! i looked like i came right outta the 1890's wheeeee!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Things like that make such a difference!

Anonymous said...

My husband has only shaved off his moustache ONE time in the 30 years I have known him and I asked him to please grow it back.

Anonymous said...

How about posting the two pics side by side? Isn't that crazy how different a man will look with or without a beard/mustache.

My brother is the same way, he can shave his face completely and then be Grizzly Adams in five days or less.

Anonymous said...

My mom and I felt the same way about daddy's facial hair but he didn't have a mustache. When he grew one mom got really upset with him. Funny my sisters and I all married guys with mustaches.

pseudowife said...

I had to Google Badlands National Park to make sure it was a real place. LOL. I always assumed that "the badlands" was just something made up by Hollywood writers. Ya live'n'learn.