Friday, July 13, 2007

It's time for the County Fair

It's County Fair time so yesterday afternoon Ole and I drove down to the little town that hosts the fair and dropped off our entries. Ole entered three bottles of his homemade wine. He says the chokecherry that he entered this year from 2006 is the best wine he's ever made. I'm not much of a wine connoisseur, but even I like this stuff.

He entered wine last year too. None of the wine that was entered from any participant was opened. Now tell me - how can you judge wine without tasting it? When he asked the ladies in the entry booth about that they told him they thought the judge last year was a non-drinker so she didn't bother to taste any of the entries! Seems to me they should find a different judge, then, huh? I entered homemade salsa last year that EVERYBODY raved about when they tried it. THAT wasn't opened either - if that happens again this year I think I'll have to "rattle some cages."

I also entered some photos that I've taken over the summer. Last year one of my photos got grand champion, but I don't know if any of these are of that caliber. I blew them all up to 8x10, matted and framed them, so they do look pretty good, at least to my eye.









Ole's bringing the motorhome up to the house so I can start cleaning and he can start loading. I'm SO looking forward to this trip as we haven't been on any major trips since last fall. Our tentative plan is to head for Red Lodge, Montana and spend a few days there where we'll ride over Bear Tooth Pass on the Harley. Then we'll move on down to Thermopolis and cover that area, including Meeteetse and all the hot springs. Then it's over to the Tetons for a few days. Next stop will be ten days in Sturgis, SD and the Black Hills where we'll connect with our long-time friends from Arizona. On the way home we'll spend several days in Medora, ND and the Badlands where hopefully Lovely Daughter and the New Man will be able to meet us. So we'll have a full plate during this trip, but hopefully be able to take things at a slow pace and unwind a little bit.

Well, that's it for today Folks, I better shake my fanny and get moving.












7 comments:

Yvonne said...

Lena, I love your photographic eye! I hope you and Ole have a wonderful time together. Take lots of pics to share! Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

I'd have a hard time choosing which photo I loved the best. They all are Grand Champions!

I've never tried chokecherry wine. I'd sure like to be a field tester for Ole's wine!

Y'all have a great time on your trip and stay safe!

Anonymous said...

purple chai

Good luck at the judging and have a great trip!

art sez: said...

drive safe and have fun!! the lake picture is the 2007 grand champion!!!

YankeeChick said...

You have a great eye for composition! These are really good shots! I vote with Art on the lake shot...gorgeous!! Have a wonderful trip and be safe! Will you be able to update while you're traveling?

Anonymous said...

The pictures are fantastic!! I LOVE them!

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE that photo of the road and the rolling farmland. You take great photos. I am wondering too how wine and salsa can be judged without tasting. We have a county fair somewhere around here but I don't think anyone enters food and I don't think there are any farm animals. I'll have to go someday and see what they do have. We are kind of citified here. Like I said in my post a while back, I sure wish I was from a small town. I just love reading about your life. Have a safe and wonderful trip. Paula