Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Home, Home on the Range . . . .

Home, Home on the Range, where the deer and the antelope play - - - -

We saw more antelope and deer today than I think either of us has seen in our entire lifetime. We're in Buffalo, Wyoming and took a ride south about 50 miles to Kaycee, home of Chris LeDoux and old stomping grounds for Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid and the Hole in the Wall Gang. The actual Hole in the Wall is located not very far from Kaycee, but requires a 4-wheel drive to get there and is situated on a privately owned ranch. So we didn't go.

So instead we had lunch at the Invasion Saloon in Kaycee and went across the street to visit the museum. For a town of only 249 people, it had a great museum with all kinds of interesting things displayed from the area and quite a history of the Hole in the Wall Gang.

I was very disappointed in part of our day though. Last night we had supper at a saloon where the locals hang out and met some really interesting folks. One of them was a lady named Teri who stopped by for a burger and a beer on her way home. She had been in town with her 15 year old daughter's horse to get it ready for an upcoming show. She was driving a 1-ton flatbed pickup with a very long 5th wheel behind with one horse in. After visiting with her a bit she invited me out to meet the horse, took it out of the trailer and the horse came over and started rubbing on me like a cat would rub on your legs. Guess she wanted her ears scratched and her nose rubbed or something.

Teri is married to a guy who owns and operates a 24,000 acre ranch which backs up into the Big Horn Mountains. She breeds, raises and trains quarter horses, and if they are anything like the one she had with her last night, they must be beauties. Sorry I didn't get a picture but by this time it was dark. Anyway, the long and short of it was that she invited Ole and I out to her ranch this morning to see the rest of her horses. She gave me her phone numbers and I was to call her this morning, which I did. But she never returned the call, so either she was busy or changed her mind about inviting strangers out to her house. I can't fault her for that, but I was disappointed.

So then it was back to the rig to do a bit of KP duty. The dust and dirt have kind of accumulated in here over the last two weeks. Then I did laundry and Ole cleaned the motorcycle. Tomorrow we'll take the rig and trailer over to the car wash and clean all the dirt off the outside. It will probably cost us a fortune in quarters, but it's so dirty on the outside you hate to even touch it to get into the compartments in the basement. Oh, well, it's ONLY money (snicker)!!

I'm posting some pictures, one is just a view of the highway, but note that the color of the pavement is red. It's made out of the local rock/dirt which is red and I believe is called scoria. Then there's one of a Bud Light and a can of Copenhagen. Found this sitting on the table outside the Invasion Bar in Kaycee - typical cowboy paraphernalia. Otherwise, just some scenery along the way.

This MAY be the last post I can do unless I can get my cell phone figured out and connect through that. I know that the campground we'll be staying in at Sturgis does not have WiFi, so I'll be CUT OFF and have to suffer withdrawals. AAAACCCKKK!!!

Anyway, enjoy the pictures, and if I don't communicate sooner, we'll be home in a couple of weeks.

Love Lena












5 comments:

art sez: said...

maybe by now they will have wifi in sturgis by now!!! great pics especially of the antelope!!! seen any jackalopes? (((((HUGS)))

Yvonne said...

What a great adventure. I love your artistic eye.

Anonymous said...

love, love, LOVE the pics.

Anonymous said...

Gosh you take some great pictures. Too bad you didn't get to see that ranch. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Anonymous said...

Since you're going to be in Sturgis, check out Shannon Curfman. She's going to be playing at the Boneyard Saloon Saturday and Sunday afternoon around 2ish. She's incredibly talented to be so dang young.

Beautiful pictures!!! Stay safe and have lots of fun.