Friday, June 15, 2007

Time to Answer Quesitons

Today is truly a day to celebrate – the sun is SHINING for the first time in over two weeks – and it’s NOT raining. So I’m going to make this a quick entry and then hop on the lawnmower and make hay. I just checked the weather radar and there’s another weather system building about a hundred miles from here so I have to take advantage of the time between “rain events.” We’ve had some horrible rain storms over the last two weeks – it’s like the sky opens up and Lake Superior falls down on us in just a matter of minutes. So far the river is managing to stay within it’s banks, but that won’t last if we keep getting these huge amounts of rain. Oh, well, in the words of Scarlett O’hara, I’ll think about that tomorrow.

I want to say thanks to all my lovely Readers who have let me know that I’m still loved (sniff). Now I can go on with life and know that I’m not a failure and still have the ability to entertain you on occasion.

Now I need to answer some questions.

First of all for Art: No, Minnesota isn’t as liberal anymore in handing out all the welfare money and food stamps; thank heavens for us taxpayers. The county I live in was one of two counties that didn’t require that a 6 month residency be established before they would hand out the goodies. That’s now been changed – prior to that people used to flock here by the thousands, collect their money and pass on to other locations. And now the State of Minnesota only allows you to collect welfare for so long – I think it’s five years and then you’re off for good. If you haven’t found your way to a job by that time then you better move on.

For Boxx9000 and Yankee Chick: Yes, I suppose a different location could have been found for the firepit and the flower garden could have been kept in tact, but my idea was to lessen my workload. Since Ole retired I’ve closed up two large fish ponds and seven large flower beds. We live on five acres of property, so you can see that everything has been done on kind of a grand scale. We travel so much now that it’s difficult to keep everything up. And when we’re gone the weeds get really sneaky and grow really tall, darn weeds. And every one of the flowers from that flower bed is currently growing very happily in the flower beds of several friends. I’ve attached a montage that I put together last fall of what my gardens used to look like several years ago. When Lovely Daughter got married back in 1999, she was married in my backyard and it was quite spectacular.








For Yvonne: The little family of ducks are Mallards. Mama is quite drab, but Dad is spectacular with his emerald green head. One of the interesting things about Mallards is that they mate for life. We’ve also got wood ducks, Canadian and Snow geese on the river and occasionally see a swan or two. They’re so majestic when they come sailing down the river.



And Capitolady is wondering about the origin of the word UFFDA. Well, I’ll do my best. When the ScandiHOOvians first came to American in the late 1800’s they wanted very much to fit in and learn English. When my father started school he couldn’t speak any English because only Norwegian was spoken at home. He had to repeat first grade because he couldn’t speak English. Also, as frequently happened, he brought English home and taught his siblings and his parents. To the day he died he had a heavy Norwegian accent. However, one of the expressions the ScandiHOOvians found difficult to give up was the word “Uff da!” It’s a perfectly polite expression that could be used in front of children and still get your point across. You might use Uff da when:

Losing your wad of chewing gum in the chicken yard.
Trying to pour two buckets of manure into one bucket.
Having a mouse crawl up your pantleg when you’re hauling a load of hay.
Getting swished in the face with a cow’s wet tail.

Well, anyway, you get the idea. Hope that answered your question.

Well, Folks, I better get up from this computer and go make my hay!!

Ta ta for now – love you all,

Lena

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "uff da" -- thanks!

art sez: said...

i like uff da too, but not so sure about the lutefisk!! hahaha!!! i might have eaten lutefisk one time, i dunno!!! ty for the pretty montage, i remember it from last year!!!

Anonymous said...

Uff da, there's alot of water in our ditches now don't ya know! :)

Enjoy the sun. I am hoping it is still around when I get off work.

Thanks for the answer!

JustMe said...

im waiting for the day when they make a rosie the roomba for lawns. wouldnt that be perfect? sitting out on your patio sipping a cool one and watching your lawn get mowed....

Anonymous said...

I've been catching up with you and went back to some old dland entries I've missed. Saw the pic of you and Ole and Ole's birthday party..you are a lovely woman with a lovely family.

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL prperty you have. It's so BIG you could put in a golf course!

Yvonne said...

I was confused by the whites around her eyes!

Lovely yard. We spend too much time on the bike to do more than clean up doggie presents in our yard.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the pictures. Beautiful!

I need to start saying "Uff da!" instead of what I've been saying...
*snort*