Saturday, October 27, 2007

Jane Can Talk & Chew at the Same Time


It’s a busy, busy weekend for the Ole and Lena household.

It’s that time of year when all the little churches in the vicinity are having their annual fund raising suppers – and you know how good those can be. So last night we headed off down the road six miles to the next little town that was putting on an all-you-can-eat fish supper. Growing potatoes is one of the major crops in our area, so the farmers in this little church have an arrangement with some folks at a little church way up north in Canada (north of Winnipeg where they can’t grow potatoes) where they exchange a train car load of potatoes for freshly caught walleye. They bring that walleye home, fillet it out, batter it and fry it up. There is nothing better than fresh cold-water fish. Fresh seafood can’t even beat that.

Along with the fish they served baked potatoes, corn, delicious cole slaw, homemade dill pickles, and wonderful garlic toast from homemade bread. Ole ate until I thought he was going to pop like a tick. Then he leaned back in his chair, patted his round tummy and said he thought he was full. Ya’ think?

We were with the rest of The Circle, so also seated at our table were Dick and Jane, Ted and Alice, and Carol. Bob didn’t come because he’s been home with pneumonia for the last week. He was upset because he’s really a fish lover. Mae, our Turkish friend was there also. She’s such a hoot.

I was fortunate enough (that’s being facetious) to sit across from Jane last night. Jane has been pretty mellow lately and hasn’t been acting up much. But then I haven’t been around her much either, so - - - Anyway, last night was enough to suffice for a while. Last night her table manners really got to me. She not only talks with her mouth full of food, but chews with her mouth open. And then, when asking someone to pass something to her instead of being polite and saying something like, “Would you please pass the corn?” She bellars out “corn” or “butter” or “fish!” You get the idea – no please or thank you of any kind. Carol was sitting next to me and every once in awhile would poke me with her elbow and giggle. Jane thinks she’s SO COOL, and she’s so NOT!!

We finally all rolled out of the church supper about 8:30 and landed back in our town next door to The Watering Hole – where there was karaoke. Carol and I sang a few numbers, had a good time and then headed home. We were both tired – her from working all week, and me – well – I don’t need an excuse, do I.

I managed to sleep in this morning until 9:30 when I got poked with two cold, wet dog noses trying to say, “Good morning, get out of bed because we’re here now.” When I opened my eyes there were all kinds of slurps and wild whipping of large, hairy tails against the wall letting me know how happy they were to know I was still alive. So out to the kitchen to get some dog treats we went.

Our church supper is tonight and I’m not going to be there – darn. Our big fundraiser is a meatball supper and they’re the best darn meatballs I’ve ever eaten. We have a wedding to go to instead – but I’m sure that will be fun too.

Well, the Weatherman screwed up again – and I’m so glad. Last night he told us we would wake up to snow flurries this morning – but instead there’s lots of sunshine out there. We have finally had a couple of light frosts, but not a hard freeze yet. Records indicate that this is the longest growing season our area has ever had. Yea for Global Warming!!!!

8 comments:

art sez: said...

whatta pig and embarassment that jane is!! sheesh!! hopefully, she will be going to the church supper tonight.

Anonymous said...

My folks made sure I had better manners than that, by the time I was in Kindergarten. That's just gross. Did she grow up in a barn or something?? btw.. I LOOOOVVEEE a good Walleye..

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww! She's on the SEE-FOOD diet! Ewwwww!

JustMe said...

poolie is so funny! i love a good fish fry too! especially when you can have as much fish as you want!! yum!

Anonymous said...

Church fundy dinners are always good. Gawd bad table manners are the worst.

Anonymous said...

Cold Fresh water fish is the only kind I like...sounds wonderful...I wanna live in an area like yours. Some of my husbands relatives sound like they could be related to Jane.

Anonymous said...

We had our local turkey dinner fund raiser. Daughter worked so hard at it, there was only one other confirmation kid that did. I treated her to a small gift. Son shine was quite miffed that he didn't get one. Sorry kid you don't get rewards for running around.

That Jane is a piece of work for sure.

I agree about the weather!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea of trading off local specialties. What an inspired idea!!!! I would love to have fish, too. BTW, I am so glad that the weather is nice again. 65 today AND tomorrow. Who could ask for more at the end of October???? Love it!!!