Friday, July 27, 2007

Blues Skies Smiling at Me




Blue skies smiling at me, nothin' but blue skies do I see - you remember that old big band song by Irving Berlin? Well, that's just what I see. I can't believe the intensity of the blue of the sky at these high elevations. We're in the Tetons with the campground at 8,000 feet. And we're both impressed by the intense blue of the sky. Remember, we're Flatlanders; we live at just over 900 feet, so the atmosphere gets pretty thick there.

We had a pretty uneventful trip with the exception that we almost got bicycle rider smattered all over the front of our RV. It never ceases to amaze me how cocky some bike riders can be in giving up "their share" of the highway. We were traveling on a very narrow two-lane highway, which had a nice asphalted shoulder on it, with a semi-truck and several cars oncoming. We had nowhere to go other than straight ahead. In front of us was a bicycle rider. Ole stepped on the brakes hard, sounded the air horn the the bike rider looked over his shoulder at us and had the audacity to give us the finger and then try to wave us by without moving off onto the shoulder of the road. Ole stepped on the brakes as hard as he could, which of course caused EVERYTHING is the cabinets to shift (I could hear it all crashing and banging), and finally when we were about even with his back tire he moved off onto the shoulder.

Maybe I'm really crass, but I opened by window, stuck my arm out and flipped him the bird!! Now, Folks, I just don't do that normally - but this bast--d made me SO ANGRY I just couldn't help myself. Anyway we got through that one by the skin of our teeth with no human flesh embedded on the bumper.

So, it's five o'clock somewhere - right here as a matter of fact - it's toddy time - then Ole will make me some kind of elegant dinner and then we'll sit outside and enjoy the cool temperatures. Tomorrow we'll hop on the Harley and tour the Tetons.

You guys just go ahead and envy me. I can handle it.

Love Lena

Oh, BTW, the first three bloggers to leave a comment on my yesterday's entry were Art, Mountain Mama, and Poolie. So sometime within the next 365 days you can expect a very special custom made gift in the Pay It Forward thingie that's going around. Lovely Daughter wrote me and asked if she could be included even if she was my daughter and she wasn't one of the first three to comment. Of course she can, she's always included in special things, but that means she has to start writing in her diary much more frequently than what she's been doing recently (hint, hint). HI LOVELY DAUGHTER!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Dinner AND the Tetons! WOW!

Yvonne said...

I do envy you two!

I read Lovely Daughter's news ... very exciting!!

Anonymous said...

Breathtaking....just breathtaking. In your story of the biker, all I could think about was that movie with Lucy and Desi, "The Long Long Trailer"...I know they didn't have to squish past a bicycler but they had other tight spots to squeeze through. What a great trip.

harrietv said...

Reminds me of a couple of cars blocking a whole parking lot while they conversed. I told them "you're in the way," and the jackass said, "you're old."! I couldn't help but think, yeah, but when he's as old as I, he'll STILL be stupid. *** No need to wish you a wonderful vacation; I can see that you're having a blast.

art sez: said...

oh man! that bicycle fool should be happy I wasnt driving! i would have stopped and got out and gave him what for!! lovely pictures!!! thank you for the prize i will be getting!!

Anonymous said...

I sent you a post card from beautiful sunny sonoma county california! whEeeEe!

Anonymous said...

Now that biker was just plain wrong!! I mean why do you argue with something so much bigger than your ittle bitty bike??

Glad you guys wheren't hurt. Or Simon.

Beautiful blue ski! and yes I am jealous.